Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 26th February 2009, 10:09 PM   #51
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry L View Post
One has left his calling card yesterday, I wonder if this means the end of the cold spells, or whether it was just a midnight snack.
Hi Kerry

At least you know that you have one around Kerry. Yes, they have their little daily habits and times that they like to visit a personal garden.

We have had Hedgehogs around us over the last 2 years or so. They like the ground feeders, and the food provided for them. Last year we had an adult and an offspring together who would visit at approx 9pm every night.

One morning I woke up, and the baby Hedgrhog managed to slip under our back door, and into our corridor between the house and the garage.
I opened the door, and do not know who got the biggest fright, but there he was. I quietly chased him out into the back garden once more. That was the last I saw of him. Hope that he was alright.

I want to put out dog food out at night for him, but I feel it would attract the wrong attention ie Cats, Rats, Mice and Foxes and I do not want that at all. Might cause a fuss with the neighbours and that would not be a good thing either as we get along very well.
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:26 PM   #52
Pine Marten

Tried the usuall catfood and branded hedgehog food and mine would not touch it. Good job starlings eat most things.
So i tried them with dried mealworms and never looked back since. They will eat all that i put out. And plenty water as well. Have heard though not tried it yet will eat cooked chicken.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:57 PM   #53
ScopsOwl

Smile

hi Kerry

I forgot to ask - how many Hedgehogs have you seen around your garden? I hope that this is them coming out of hibernation now! Must be a sign that spring has sprung!

What do you feed them with?

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 27th February 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11th March 2009, 09:27 AM   #54
chilternbirder

I don't know if it is just where I live but these days I am more likely to see a badger (usually as road kill sadly) than a hog.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 03:14 PM   #55
Jandy

Lovely to hear about your hogs. Hope we will be able to see the odd photo in due course. I can't recall seeing a hedgehog pic on Members' Photos ever! Is this because they only come out after dark? We haven't seen any here for years and years.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 12:47 PM   #56
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
Lovely to hear about your hogs. Hope we will be able to see the odd photo in due course. I can't recall seeing a hedgehog pic on Members' Photos ever! Is this because they only come out after dark? We haven't seen any here for years and years.
hi Jandy

The Hedgehogs that we have seem in our back garden have always come out at Twilight time. Too dark for a photo unless you have a good camera..

The only time I have seen one in daylight is when a young small hedgehog managed to clamber under our back door and ended up in our passageway in broad daylight. He must have been too inquisitive for his own good.

We gently put him amongst the garden bushes, and he went on his way once more. He was none the worse for his experince. We saw him a few times after that with one of his parents (must have been teaching him the ropes LOL)

This was before we got our new camera. If this happened again, I will get a picture if possible as it would be a great addition to any Forum

Hi CB

I hope that you chance comes to see a Hedgehog.

The best time to try is in the late evening. You can hear their snuffling about (quite noisy too) before you see them
Old 2nd December 2009, 04:41 PM   #57
Kerry L

We only saw one this year, sometime at the beginning of October - at least there's one around.
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:49 PM   #58
Jenny

From a very ancient camera hence lousy quality, but here's one I took ages ago!

I've had a good hog year - six youngsters - all of whom have done well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Hog.jpg (130.6 KB, 14 views)
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:00 PM   #59
Jandy

That's a great pic, Jenny! What are you feeding him there? Looks like there are some sultanas with what looks like Ground Blend or chopped nuts.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:59 AM   #60
Jenny

CJ's hedgehog food! They love it! The slight snag (sorry, CJs) is it's very expensive when you get a lot of hogs because they literally hog it! Sorry about pun.

But I move tubs around so they get the slugs - mistle and song thrushes beat them to the snails judging from the shells - and, as autumn sets in, I put fat feeders out at low level so the hogs can raid the bits - they can climb quite well!

BTW photo taken without flash from light of patio and inside lights. .
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote