Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 10th November 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Kerry L

Exclamation Hedgehogs

Hi all

Today I saw a little hedgehog that had been run over last night. Please be on the lookout for any that haven't hibernated or are undersized. If you find them don't let them sleep, but keep them warm and take them to your local wildlife rescue centre. Use leaves if possible, but not straw or hay. Little pillows that can be heated in the microwave are useful, or a warm (not too hot) hot water bottle wrapped in cloth.
Don't worry if you spot fleas, they don't like our blood, but gardening gloves are good protection from prickles.
A couple of years ago we had a little hedgehog curled up by our front door - in December. It was covered in ticks and very light and we are lucky to have a lady not too far away who looks after all sorts of wildlife in Overton, sadly we were too late and only lasted 2 days, but it had a happier ending than some.

Useful web site:
www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk

Regards, Kerry
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Emma

Hi Kerry

What's wrong with hay and straw? Our hedgehog box is full of the stuff, and was recommended to me by a man who rescues hedgehogs.

You have me worried now :/

Our hedgehog isn't hibernating yet, but he's busy taking in the dried leaves I place near the box, as well as the straw. I put it all near the box at dusk and most of it has been taken inside the next day. I also put a little ball of straw in the entrance so I can check for activity in the box just in case he doesn't take my offerings.

Also, I was thinking that as soon as the ball of straw stays put then he's probably bedded down for the winter.

He also has sawdust on the floor and shredded paper.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 04:12 PM   #3
Kerry L

Hi Emma

When I took our poor little thing in to the rescue centre, I was told not to put them in straw because it is not natural bedding for them as they gather leaves. It is to do with the straw tangling up around the spines and it is difficult for them to remove - at that time we had a rabbit and I had put the hedgehog in a bucket full of warm straw - oh dear, slight ticking off for me! Now we have a garden full of leaves and no more rabbit, so no straw as a stand-by - ooh and thunder and lightning outside now - yuk!
I'm glad your man said it was OK, I don't feel guilty now. I think we should assume that as long as it is warm and dry, use whatever is to hand, and if it is the wrong stuff, the animal is not going straight back into the wild, but will be given some TLC first (if it survives that is).
However, I think any hedgehog will end up with hay around their spines just by foraging around the weedy bits in my garden!

On a sad note, I saw another squashed hedgie this week, so they are still around. Does anyone remember Shaw Taylor? I'll use his quote - "Keep 'em peeled"! (OK, I'm 48 - and there wasn't much children's tv in the old days! )

Regards, Kerry
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Emma

Maybe I'll keep an eye out in the evenings for him/her just to see what sort of state they're in!

I had a look at your link and they say, "Thus, in autumn, they begin to collect leaves, grass, straw, bracken, reeds etc. and use these materials for building their own nests under hedgerows, fallen logs or piles of brushwood."

To be honest, apart from it being 'dry grass' I'm not even sure what straw is

I think I'll keep some lawn cuttings next year and use that to line the box. He has pleanty of dried leaves in with him, as well as the straw, and next year I'll start earlier and give him/her/them/it access to a wider variety of materials. And possibly no straw
Old 25th November 2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Jenny

Please use leaves if you can - some straw has been treated and I'm informed not too good as chemicals may be harmful. If you find small hedgehogs, they must weigh 800 plus grams to stand a chance of surviving. Put your local hedgehog rescue contact phone number by your phone and ring them with any serious underweights - in meantime, provide warmth - indoors in a quiet secure setting, food and water (not bread and milk) but don't let them pig out - that'll kill them too. Little and often! If you've one approaching the minimum, it's still worth hanging onto them and feeding them up for a couple of weeks till they hit weight and then finding somewhere where they can hibernate but keep putting out food on mild days - hogs don't sleep all winter.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Emma

Right! That's it! No straw next time! I'm not disturbing him now as he's built quite a nest for himself - I'll have to take the risk
Old 20th January 2007, 02:40 PM   #7
shirehorse

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but hope I can make many friends that are interested in Wildlife like myself.

I have a little hedgehog that visits each year, always comes in under my back gate and has a snuffle around the garden, I know it's there because he leaves his 'calling card' but they are great fun and lovely to watch.
shirehorse is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 09:08 AM   #8
sallyh

I'm new on here too . I'm part of a Hedgehog rescue group & have had a little hedgehog to over winter before releasing back into the wild. I've always been advised to use shredded paper topped off with hay if that helps. He has successfully come through the winter & I'm now feeding him up so that he can be released. He is so cute, I shall miss him when he goes off into the wild, I hope he returns at some point to say hi.

Sally
xx
sallyh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Jenny

Welcome Sally and well done! My friend does a local hedgehog rescue and she had three underweights all thriving. One of them was one I found and got to her so I'm so pleased. You people do a great job!
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 09:32 AM   #10
PiratesAhoy!

I volunteer with a local wildlife rescue centre, and we had plenty of hogs in over the winter who had been found outside in the daytime. We kept them in and fed them up, and a couple of weeks ago they were released.

Two of them ended up released at our place, and I've been keeping an eye on them (I call it 'Hogwatch' ) every night, making sure they have food, etc. One of them had mange, and lost some spines, so I'm making sure he's ok. The two we released have been joined by a third one, so there's lots of snuffling around at night in our garden

They have a few log piles, but also there's a converted cat carrier out there with shredded newspaper - one of them seems to prefer that to sleep in.
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote