Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 19th May 2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Nature__Lover

I know what you mean BeeBee.
No birds really liked the niger seed when i put it out either... :/
Wish i could see some goldies! never seen one!
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Beebee

I haven't seen my Goldfinches since bank holiday Monday.

The Blue Tits are getting braver, they now use the feeder nearer the house which is usually dominated by Starlings, the Sparrows have also started using it too.

Beebee.
Beebee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Catscratch

I'm new to this forum, so I hope you don't mind me joining in.
I have also found that the birds do not always conform to type e,g, a regular visitor to my nyger seed feeder is a collared dove. S/he sits on the tray I have underneath the feeder to catch the spilt seed and reaches up to the first feeding station. Bullfinches are also regular visitors to this feeder.
The goldfinches appear to visit the nyger feeder and the regular seed feeder that I fill with a mix of seed including sunflower hearts.
I have had a nuthatch visit occasionally, and it goes straight to the mixed seed feeder.
I have tried premium whole peanuts in a separate feeder, but these are never very popular.
Everyone's favourite seems to be the suet pellets I mix in with the seed and also put out on the tray on the pole.
Catscratch is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 08:53 PM   #14
crissie

Suet pelletts as you say seem to be adored by all and at this time of year they are perfect along with meal worms (live ones) for supplement feeding of the chicks.

Oh and lucky old you to have regular bullfinch, i have spotted one in our trees on the odd occasion and always in the colder months.

Last edited by crissie; 21st May 2010 at 08:55 PM.
crissie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Beebee

Hi Catscratch,

Like you, my peanuts hardly get touched. The Blue Tits have recently started on the fat balls, but the totally ignore the mealworms, live or dried. I have a couple of Green Finches that like the sunflower hearts and ignore the black sunflower seeds and they must have seen them because the feeders are next to each other. I put a few strawberries out the other day, they were totally ignored, but I am not surprised, they probably have never seen a strawberry before and wondered what the hell it was.
Old 22nd May 2010, 05:43 PM   #16

I have never tried strawberries, but my thrush and blackbirds like over-ripe apples and pears if cut into segments. A local fruit shop will often sell bags of over ripe fruit really cheap.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Hevva

The blackbirds love grapes too - I always cut them either in half or quarters, so a bit time-consuming, but they do disappear rapidly.
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:53 PM   #18
crissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
Hi Catscratch,

Like you, my peanuts hardly get touched. The Blue Tits have recently started on the fat balls, but the totally ignore the mealworms, live or dried. I have a couple of Green Finches that like the sunflower hearts and ignore the black sunflower seeds and they must have seen them because the feeders are next to each other. I put a few strawberries out the other day, they were totally ignored, but I am not surprised, they probably have never seen a strawberry before and wondered what the hell it was.
Hi,
You often find that the tit family start on the fat more than they used to at this time of the year, when they do its normally because they are feeding chicks with it.
In my garden the resident blue and great only fed on the fat occasionally, preferring the sunflower hearts ( it was the long tails that always went to the suet, they never fed on anything but suet) just recently the greats and blues have been frequently going for the fat, not their usual dining habits. This has happened in the past too but I only found out the possible reason for their actions recently.

I put out strawberries too and they were ignored by everything. I was surprised at this result.
Apples and pears get eaten very quickly. I've read that banana can be eaten, but this has always been ignored too.
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:41 PM   #19
Beebee

I know I have a Blackbird close to my garden because I can hear him in the evening singing and I have seen him in my garden on two occasions, once when I left an apple on the lawn, although he never attempted to eat it, and once on the fence just looking about (the Blackbird not me). I left the apple out on the lawn for about two weeks and the Blackbird didn't return to my garden and the apple went untouched by any bird for the duration. I also leave sultanas on a ground feeder, but these get gobbled up by the Starlings after the mealworms and suet nibbles that is. I would love to have the Blackbird visiting my garden, so has anyone got any suggestions as to what food I can put out for him or maybe were the best place to leave food for him is. Should I leave a few apples out rather than just one?

To crissie,
What was the reason for the greats and blues going for the fat balls rather than the sunflower hearts? It worries me that the blues aren't feeding their young enough hydrated foods although I do sometimes see them hopping about in the bushes pecking at, presumably, insects.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:10 PM   #20
crissie

The birds may not have eaten the apple if it was whole and fresh.
they prefer over ripened rotting food, like the state an apple would be in when we don't wanna eat it.
I always cut an apple into quarters but I do leave skin on, I know some people take the skin off and chop it up.

If I have apple cores I put them out as they tend to brown very quickly. I think when they brown they are sweeter.

This is just my theory why the birds may have left the apples.

Edit: Ive just re read your post so as you left the apple for two weeks then I assume it was rotting by then, Ha ha, be patient, blackies are known to be shy, they may be common but they can be very cautious.

You also have the same problem as lots of us, the starlings polish it all up before others get a chance, keep the food for the starlings, (in my case they go straight for the bird table and then ground feeder) and place other containers or scatter under shrubs or near the edge of the lawn and the bed. This will hopefully keep the starlings in one place,
i devise different areas for feeding and it seems to work.
I have a bush that the starlings never go into but every one else goes in it or under it.

Black birds naturally forage under bushes, you see them tuning over the dead leaves one after the other. This is a good place to put some food for them, either scatter or put in a dish, The food I place for robins/blackies/wrens and dunnocks is in a dish usually and every now and then I scatter under bushes near the feeding station.
Black birds are often shy so do persevere,
Mine like fruit, apples and pears, and grapes that I cut in half if their are any going a bit brown, (not normally in my house though, they don't get a chance to go off) they like meal worms, dry that you have soaked in boiling water or fresh mealies. They love sultanas/raisins,always soak these to re hydrate them a little, even in the winter as they can be a bit brutal if you don't, I buy the value range, nice and good on the purse too.
Sunflower hearts are eaten by mine too.
Something they really appreciate is if you water a patch in the garden for them this time of year so they can get their worms easier.
I get up early in the week, if its been dry I go and throw water over a patch and male and female blackie turn up early in the morning.

As for the tit family, I've have found out that they feed the fat to their chicks, and it all rings true in my garden for sure, they never normally go on the fat as much as they are doing at the mo.
The suet nibbles are very good for the chicks as well.

The tits will forage for insects/flies and especially the green caterpillars, these are often found in oak tress among other places. The green caterpillars provide the fluid for the chicks.
They will feed the chicks with the natural food where possible and supplement their own diet with the sunflower hearts.
Seeds are not a lot of good for small chicks as they can't digest them and they are dry.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by crissie; 22nd May 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Tags
advice, birds, birdwatching., goldfinches, nuthatches