Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 5th March 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
ruthie 73

Question What's my bird?

I have a bird that I can't identify coming to my garden feeders here in the Cotswolds. It is completely grey/brown and the size of a sparrow. The underside is a small bit lighter than its back and the only other marking is a russett coloured cap. It has a thin pointed beak and an arrow shaped tail cuttout. My bird books do not have a matching picture or description.
ruthie 73 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Penna

Your bird may be a female Blackcap ruthie....
Males have a black cap, female brown.
They are still regarded as a good little bird to have in your garden.........nice one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 (1024x767).jpg (473.3 KB, 18 views)
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:39 AM   #3
ruthie 73

Thank you Penna. The picture looks just like the bird I have been seeing. I have a hanger with fatballs just outside my kitchen window and I often see it clinging on and pecking away with obvious enjoyment. Ruth
ruthie 73 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Penna

Nice Ruth, Blackcaps love the fatballs, keep a look out for the male, they are usually seen together at this time of year............
Allan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (264.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 9th April 2012, 07:04 PM   #5
kittieconnor

I have recently been on holiday near Aberdeen and we were about 30 minutes outside of it. It was quite remote with dear etc. There were lots ofbirds that called through the night and at dusk and they sounded like an american police siren. What could this be?
kittieconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna View Post
Your bird may be a female Blackcap ruthie....
Males have a black cap, female brown.
They are still regarded as a good little bird to have in your garden.........nice one.
Nice photo Penna

Love Blackcaps. We has one calling in my garden a couple of days ago and it was a great call to hear it at this time of year - spring is here

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittieconnor View Post
I have recently been on holiday near Aberdeen and we were about 30 minutes outside of it. It was quite remote with dear etc. There were lots ofbirds that called through the night and at dusk and they sounded like an american police siren. What could this be?
Lots of birds migrate to Britain at this time Kitty, and thousands do so every night, so your birds could well be almost anything, I would guess that they may be water birds or waders as these tend to come south for the summer. I will try and find out which birds sound like a siren, I know in the States Blackbirds do.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
ScopsOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna View Post
Lots of birds migrate to Britain at this time Kitty, and thousands do so every night, so your birds could well be almost anything, I would guess that they may be water birds or waders as these tend to come south for the summer. I will try and find out which birds sound like a siren, I know in the States Blackbirds do.
I find that birds species can sound a little different in each country, Penna

For example, in Spain Greenfinches have a more persistent high pitched wheeze than they do in the UK.

Kitty: I have heard Starlings impersonating Oyster Catches in Hunstanton in the Norfolk area of the UK, and Starlings impersonating Buzzards calling where i stay now, so it might be a species of bird mimicking another species of bird.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
kittieconnor

I did think possibly something mimicking but then questioned if so many would mimic the same thing. You state starlings (plural) though Kathy so perhaps, perhaps! Thanks all for looking into it. I do also have another question if I may. I have noticed 2 very distint shapes of robin this year. One the usual squatty kind of character on Christmas cards but another very slender robin who stands tall and elegant, really lngthening the body (even on cold days) and it is very red breast. I thought perhaps it might have been a winter visitor as I haven't seem any for a while? Would this be right and if so from where? Thanks xx
Old 10th April 2012, 01:00 PM   #10
kittieconnor

Penna- I never thought about a wader!Hmm I will have a scoosh through the RSPB site and listen. Thanks - hope you are well x