Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 24th August 2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Peggo

Default Glasgow List

I live on Glasgow's south side and thought I'd contribute a list. We put our feeder up a couple of months ago to try and encourage some Bullfinches that I'd seen very occasionally. It certainly worked, we've had pairs of Bullfinches and lots of juveniles over the summer. The junveniles seem to have disappeared now, or maybe they're getting some adult plumage.

List as it stands...

Coal Tits
Blue Tits
Great Tits
Bullfinches
Siskins
Dunnocks
Sparrows
Chaffinches
Great Spotted Woodpeckers
Greenfinches
Goldfinches
Blackbirds
Robins

As well as the usual suspects, Jackdaws, Magpies, Pigeons, Doves.

This evening a juvenile Goldfinch flew into the shed window. It was grounded so I went out to see if it was still alive. As I got closer it paniced and eventually managed to fly off. I'm hoping it'll be OK. It may have been back but we had two juveniles that used to visit and it was impossible to tell which one it was.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Penna

Nice list there, it's always interesting to see what different parts of the UK get.
The late summer and winter birds will come flocking in to visit you and your sightings will soar. nice one.
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Peggo

Cheers Penna. It really has been kicking off recently. Those birds are eating us out of house and home!

I've attached a couple of pics taken this morning. They were taken with a compact on max zoom so they're a bit shaky but you can see the list of characters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020098.jpg (160.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1020099.jpg (198.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 25th August 2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Penna

Chapelwood feeders eh! nice to see the niger feeder being used and the juvenile Great Spotted is another super bird.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Peggo

We've also had an adult turn up as well. Pretty sure it was a female as there was no red nape that I could see but it was off as soon as I spotted it and it spotted me.

We weren't sure about the 6 port white feeder at first and neither were the birds. The orange one still gets a lot more attention than the white one. The greenfinches much prefer the orange one for some reaon and there are plenty of those around just now. Of course when the orange one is getting empty then it's a different story.

The niger feeder initially only attracted siskins but I've seen all the finches having a go at it at some point (apart from the bullfinches). I'm thinking of getting a larger nyjer feeder for when word gets round the local goldfinch community and they start flocking in. I'm not sure whether to get a larger one like the one we have or whether to get a slot feeder with multiple perches. Any recommendations?
Old 25th August 2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Penna

In my experience if the Golfinches are feeding on you Niger seed then it makes little difference which one it is.
There are many to choose from..http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_de...=33&prd_id=950

I use a 20 port jacobi jayne..
http://featherswildbirdcare.co.uk/web/nigerfeeders.html

I would always recommend a tray on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (224.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 26th August 2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Peggo

Thanks for the info. I'll wait and see if we get an increase in the number of goldfinches turning up. A tray on the bottom is a good idea. I'll have to look into whether we can get some trays for our other feeders. The lawn underneath our feeder has died away badly and for obvious reasons I can't really put some grass seed down!
Old 26th August 2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Penna

http://featherswildbirdcare.co.uk/we...lwoodtray.html

The Chapelwood niger feeder with the slots is one I would look at carefully before buying, I do not like the redundant reservoir at the bottom of the feeder.
Old 4th September 2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Jandy

For some reason, Penna, the links you mention can't be found when I try to get on them. I just get a little notice informing me of this.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Penna

Sorry about that Jandy, we are just updating the web, well.........I say we :- but I mean my partner.
Should all be done in the next couple of days.