Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 20th September 2010, 07:11 PM   #1
zubo1

Cool My new garden family

Im fairly new to the whole bird thing as i recently thought i would introduce a feeder to the garden to cater for a couple of local sparrows, I now over the last few weeks seem to have most of the bristol bird population arriving daily, So far this includes

Sparrows (lots of)
Pigeons
Collard doves
Robin (resident)
Blue tits
Great tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Greenfinches (not seen in a while tho)
And 2 days ago a large bird of prey possibly a hawk or falcon swooped out of nowhere and tried to grab a dove from the garden, me and the missus where stood about 20ft away at the time, Scared the life out of us and the birds.
All the birds have been cautious since this happened so hopefully its not going to be a regular thing, It was amazing to see a bird of that size so close but i would prefer to keep things on a smaller scale.

Started off with seed and peanuts but have now progressed to Fat balls, Suet blocks, Sunflower hearts and seeds, nyjer seeds and now live meal worm.

Seems to be getting out of hand but the more different foods i put out the more species that arrive, I find myself spending more time watching the garden than anything else now

I will keep ya posted on progress.
zubo1 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Nature__Lover

Just wondering if by sparrows you mean house sparrows?
would be brill if they are, because they have declined severely recently.

Don't worry about the hawk, I know it's not nice to see birds snatched from your garden, but it is only nature. Also having predators in your garden is proof how wide a variety of 'prey' (songbirds) you have.

I , for the 1st time had a large amount of greenfinch in mid-summer.
I have also not seen any since about july, and am wondering why!?
I thought they were common visitors to birdfeeders in winter...
but what happens to them in autumn? :|

I use fat balls and suet blocks at the moment. How do peanuts in a feeder work out?
never really used them and wondering what sort of birds and how many they attract?

Nature_lover
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Jandy

Peanuts in a feeder will attract all kinds of tits - and possibly greater spotted woodpeckers (if the feeder is not protected by a guardian - however, with no protection, it will also be popular with squirrels and may get destroyed, as a few of mine have been in the past!) I have occasionally had long-tailed tits on mine. It is best not to fill the feeder too full, or to leave uneaten nuts for too long, as they can go off and get mouldy specially in damp conditions. Another thing you can do is to get peanuts in the shell, and thread them on string and hang them up.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Nature__Lover

after reading your advice, jandy. I bought some peanuts and put them in a tube feeder.
I decided AGAINST wire-mesh feeders especially meant for peanuts as squirrels have been known to get their jaws trapped in them and cause serious harm.
of course the squirrels still come.... sitting on the feeder and taking a few.
I have counted three squirrels altogether.
It bothered me at first, but they have settled down a bit now and don't make that big a dent in the supply.

I have seen blue tits, great tits, two siskins, house sparrows and more coal tits than I have ever seen on the peanuts so far. They flit in (and let me get reallly close)
take a nut, and fly off to store it for winter.

I will carry on feeding them providing it doesn't get to rainy and damp.
Old 13th October 2010, 10:22 PM   #5
chilternbirder

The biggest problem with squirrels in my experience is when they steal the entire feeder. I have even seen one carry off an empty feeder, presumably having learned that peanuts appeared in it every morning.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Nature__Lover

wow chilternbirder!

I love my local pair of squirrels... but they are a little expensive to feed .. ha! ha!
For some reason the past few days they haven't raided the feeders.

A bigger worry I have though is that in spring , if the new nest box has inhabitants...
they will raid the box and eat the eggs?
as they come by every day practically.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:29 PM   #7
zubo1

Cool Some new additions

Hi again all, just thought i would keep ya all updated on my outdoor family.

since my last post i have had a short visit from 6 pied wagtails, my tit family has more than doubled and over the last 2 days i had a grey wagtail all by itself and today a great spotted woodpecker arrived and spend about 15mins going up and down the tree trunk pecking away.

Hopefully it will return soon along with the wagtails.
zubo1 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Hevva

Smile

Considering you only started in September you have had a really good selection in the garden. I've seen pied wagtails around here, but did have a grey wagtail in by the pond - on his own too.
Only trouble is, the more species you get, the more you want, which means more and more different feeders. Keep going and keep us updated.
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote