Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 8th January 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Hevva

Default Maidstone List

Today I have had the following visitors -
Collared Dove (several)
Wood Pigeon (3)
Magpie (2)
Jay (1)
Pheasants (8 - 3 male plus 5 females)
Greenfinch (1)
Blue Tits (several)
Great Tit (1)
Robin (1)
Blackbird, female (1)
Song Thrush (1)
Mistle Thrush (1)
Dunnock (several)
Chaffinch (several)
Goldfinch (several)
Sparrows (about 20)
Starlings (about half a dozen)

First time in several days a greenfinch has appeared. Chaffinches are now appearing in greater numbers. Still waiting for a nuthatch and no sign of the Greater Spotted Woodie. Starling numbers have declined rapidly.
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Hevva

Three long-tailed tits arrived on the fatball feeder this morning - my first ever. Really pleased.
Old 19th January 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Hevva

Smile

Nothing new to report here with numbers of starlings increasing slightly and the long tailed tits appeared for the second time today. There were 3 greenfinches on the sunflower hearts and I seem to have acquired several more blackbirds. Spring is obviously on the way as the three male pheasants are strutting their stuff and the females are only interested in the food (nothing changes!) I'm now putting out two large saucepans of seed, sunflower hearts and some sultanas on the ground each day - I'll have to get a job soon.
Old 14th February 2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Hevva

February 2009

During the last couple of weeks, the following have appeared -
Blackbirds (at least 12 each day)
Thrush (1 song, 2 mistle)
Collared doves (at least 12)
Wood pigeon (2 - 3)
Feral pigeon? (strange looking bird with lots of white)
Starlings (very few - 4 or 5 at the most each day)
Goldfinch (at least 10 - 12)
Chaffinch (lots)
Greenfinch (2 pairs)
Siskin (pair occasionally)
Longtailed Tit (pair occasionally)
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Pheasant (8 - 10 each day)
Sparrows (up to 30 each day)
Robin (resident one bringing a friend !!)
Dunnock (up to 4 or 5)
Sparrowhawk (visited once and I'm now a collared dove short)
Kingfisher (once) - see photo

Still no sign of a nuthatch or spotted woodpecker
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Hevva

Bird life has changed through the seasons - no thrushes and sparrow numbers down considerably.
Collared doves and wood pigeons still here.
Large numbers of greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch and all bred really well.
All the tit numbers have increased and again all bred really well.
Not a pheasant seen in a couple of months (bit of a relief really!)
Starling numbers soared over breeding season, with possibly 60 - 70 in the garden at any one time.
4 young jackdaws appeared for a couple of weeks.
Great spotted woodie and green woodie have both been around on occasions.
Blackbird numbers up to around 8 (and still begging for currants)
Heron has appeared and has left equally quickly!!
Last, but not least, a buzzard soared over the house last week (probably nothing much to all you lucky people to whom they are regular visitors but it caused great excitement here!!)
Old 26th September 2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Hevva

Three months later and life in the garden is still as busy.
The first pheasant since the spring arrived yesterday so that is obviously the beginning of expensive times to come.
The sparrows must be around the 40 mark regularly now and are emptying every feeder they can with their happy chirruping.
Greenfinches still come each day but their numbers are down to around 5 or 6 still with some youngsters
Blue, Great and Coal tits are all still around each day, although I guess these are this year's youngsters
One robin has appeared during the past week
Just a pair of blackbirds at the moment
Several dunnocks who also bred well
A wren was flitting through the shrubs yesterday
Starling numbers vary, but mostly down to half a dozen
The collared dove numbers are around 10 - 12 each day, but no wood pigeons.
I haven't seen a thrush of any type in the garden since very early spring.
Both green woodie and great spotted woodie have been visiting on several occasions
The sparrowhawk (both male and female) has visited as has the heron who must be most disappointed to find a netted pond - he sits on top of a tree and just looks now!
I'm sure I've missed something but, as a finale, we had just a fleeting visit on the peanuts from a lesser spotted woodie so just watching and hoping this may become a regular.
Old 26th September 2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Hevva

Of course I missed something - the lovely goldies who are preferring the nyger seed at the moment to the sunflower hearts and usually number around 10 - 12, plus the chaffinches whose numbers have declined after a really good summer to about 3 or 4 a day.
My lone female pheasant is walking off down the garden as I write this and I'm just hoping she's not off to tell her friends that there's still loads of food left!
Old 29th December 2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Hevva

Well, Christmas has come and gone and it is a little on the quiet side (posssibly in the main due to lack of starlings!) in the garden. I took all my feeders and birdbaths down for the month of October as I had several poorly greenfinches but, since then, nothing like the quantity of birds have returned. I still have a reasonable flock (around 20) of sparrows that visit each day, along with a dozen or so collared doves, several big fat woodpigeons and one or two starlings. Three or four goldfinches make short visits in the mornings, along with several chaffinch and a few blue tits, but no greenfinches have returned, although in September they were in double figures.
The heavy snow damaged the sparrows' favourite feeder on the patio and I replaced it with a much larger and more splendid one - guess what, not a bird has fed from it - must be the rather loud blue colour !!
The pheasants have returned - four beautiful ringnecks, along with three females. They come for around 10 minutes in the morning and the same during the afternoon and then retire under the bushes.
Blackbird numbers have increased to around 8 with the females still as volatile and demanding their raisins but the song thrush has only appeared a couple of times.
The robin is a regular visitor as is the green woodie who stays and digs in the lawn for up to half an hour.
A grey wagtail appeared round the pond just before Christmas, as did the heron who decided to stay put despite frantic tappings on the lounge window! The dog was then sent to put him up, although, judging by the amount of fish that have bred in the pond during the year, I could have fed him for a month!!!
Today, just to sum up a really good year, the kingfisher sat on the post just looking in the pond for around 5 minutes.
Old 9th January 2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Hevva

As over the rest of the country, the weather here is awful and today the heavy snow is drifting in the strong winds. The birds are really struggling for food and fighting over every last bit. I have at least 10 blackbirds in the garden at the moment, one male with a broken leg who at least is being shown a bit of mercy by a couple of the more dominant females. We had around 8 fieldfares and a redwing under the feeders today, the first time we have seen either in the garden. I am feeding several times a day, in several places, but it all freezes so quickly and I'm sure the raisins must be like marbles by the time they're eaten! At least the robin and blue tits have discovered the small feeder attached to the kitchen window and are tucking in heartily.
On a warmer note, I have left the door to my old greenhouse open and when I went in there this morning a little dunnock was sitting on the shelf. I have now put a couple of bowls of seed in there and a few minutes ago a female blackbird was in there eating happily. Just hope they use it in the night to keep a bit dry and warm.
I've put out a tin of dog food and biscuits for the resident fox each evening but on the last two occasions he/she has taken off with the tupperware container as well so may have to eat off the snow tonight!
Old 1st May 2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Hevva

Life here is very busy at the moment with lots of comings and goings. A pair of robins are using the small feeders attached to the kitchen window before flying off down to next doorís stable where they are building their regular nest. Several blue tits and great tits are visiting but Iím still not sure whether either has used the box yet. A pair of long tailed tits paid a fleeting visit last week. The pheasants still arrive each day and we are often given a lovely mating display, the males going round in circles nearly laying on their sides in a bid to impress. Several wood pigeons and collared doves each day with the latter being more interested in mating than eating. A pair of magpies and a single crow make a short visit each day. The goldfinches and greenfinches are around most of the day and I am still refilling the nyger feeder each evening. Sparrow numbers are down to around 4 or 5 each day with about the same number of dunnocks and starlings. The heron makes his daily tour of the gardens and sits on the top of the fir tree, on a branch which looks only strong enough to hold a sparrow. (I have put a photo under the photo section). We found him in the pond the other morning, standing on top of the netting. Blackbirds numbering about half a dozen, still arguing, but sadly no signs of any thrushes. Finally, a pair of mallards have called in each evening for the past fortnight Ė just a quick meal under the feeders and then back home (they havenít tried our pond yet, thank goodness).
Just on the wildlife front, there have been signs of badgers at the bottom of the garden. Our large resident wild rabbit has been joined by a baby who jumps and skips his/her way through the day (oh, to be young) and our old dog fox seems to have disappeared only to be replaced by a very young and confident vixen who trots up the middle of the lawn early each evening and took a great fancy to the dogís bone.