Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 25th August 2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Narvail

Default My garden bird list

4 carrion crows, one is partially albino and two are young chicks
3 - 5 blue tits and great tits depending on food out and weather
5 house sparrows
4 - 9 starlings depending on if there are mealworms out and weather, we get dry mealworms but they all like them dampened.
3 collared doves
2 -3 woodpigeons

The occasional winter visitor;
1 Jay who visits for peanuts

The rare dry summer visitor;
1 green woodpecker

and the only mammals other than our two dogs to visit our garden are a squirrel and we had a young fox who came for left overs we put out.
Narvail is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Nature__Lover

Wow! you are lucky to have a fox I've never even seen one properly.
I have a hedgehog and a grey squirrel visiting my garden.

a Jay and a green woodpecker are fantastic visitors! I've never seen a jay, but have seen a green woodpecker once. Usually the woodpeckers that visit backgardens are the smaller great spotted woodpeckers.

If you want to attract hedgehogs, frogs, and insects (which attract birds, too)
then a big dead leaf pile at the back of the garden, and a log pile (left to rot and go nice and damp) should do the trick.
I have heard a messy bit at the back of the garden is the best thing you can do for wildlife in your yard.
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Narvail

Yes we had a grey squirrel too who comes and goes visits at least once a week.

Yeah young male fox cub, could tell it was male with the strong smell he left after about a month to go to the fields near our house so we go to see how he is.

Jays are beautiful, they look foreign but they do live here. They love peanuts served on a table or on the ground but who knows what else they like.

Yes, that is a good idea, we have a small 'wildzone' at the bottom of ours not much else will grow down there really.

Though our two dogs don't help with attracting wildlife but do help keep the cats away.
Old 7th September 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
chilternbirder

To attract green woodpeckers the best thing is a well trimmed lawn with an ant nest in the middle.

I get them on my front lawn occasionally but never in the less manacured back garden.

These lists make more sense if we have some idea of the location. For example I seldom see foxes in my present semi-rural location but an suprised not to see them when visiting friends in London.

Last edited by chilternbirder; 7th September 2010 at 07:54 PM.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Narvail

We live in the country about 15 min drive away from Sudbury, and 10 min drive from Long melford. It's an area with farmland mixed with fields and small wooded areas with a river about 5 to 10 mins walk away which are good for spotting wildlife that isn't too keen on gardens like badgers, deer, owls and other such animals.
Old 10th September 2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Catscratch

Default Green woodpecker

Hi to Narvail and Chilternbirder,
I live in Hampshire and we get occasional visits from both green and red woodpeckers. The green woodpecker loves the ants in the back garden - which is not at all well cared-for, so maybe they don't mind as long as there are ants!
The red woodpecker loves the suet cakes and the peanuts.

You are lucky to have Jays visit. I think I recall seeing one in the vicinity about 5-6 years ago.
Catscratch is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Nature__Lover

my two cats don't really help the wildlife either.
But my one cat is such a softy, at night she sits on the lawn and watches the bats swoop over. and in the day she watches butterflies and birds. But never ever catches them.
She birdwatches!
but my other cat has brought in blackbirds before, so she has a collar with a bell on and she is never aloud out in the morning. She seems under control now... she's learning *i think and hope*
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote