Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 27th October 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Gardbird

Default Nest Boxes

If you are planning to put up nest boxes now is the time, forget about this so called nest box week in Feb. 2009. The birds are seeking shelter and looking for somewhere to roost over the next few months of cold nights. Also putting up boxes now will allow birds to pick out the nest boxes they would most like to use for nesting in. By Feb. it's too late nesting sites have already been choosen. My success was based on my failures, now I have many birds breeding in the nest boxes I put up.
Gardbird is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
birdbore.

Default Nest boxes

I agree Gardbird, I would like to add that now is a good time to clean out your old used boxes
Birdbore
birdbore. is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
tree-huger

Talking Nest Boxes

Is it still too late to put up a nest box for my local birds? I've been extremely busy cutting down some trees in my back garden lately to make way for a new swimming pool, so have decided to try and give back to the environment in any way i can. I feel that nest boxes are the perfect solution.

Any and all help will be appreciated and i will look into all options people suggest.

Thankyou,

From the world's largest tree-huger

Terrance Barker
tree-huger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Hi Tree-hugger

Welcome to the forum! Nest boxes can be put up year-round. There is still a chance they could be used this season but even if they aren't they will make great roosting spots, and the longer a box is in situ the more chance it has of being used for the next breeding season.

Info about how and where to site nest boxes, and which type to choose depending on the birds you want to encourage can be found here.

Hope this helps, but if you have any more questions come back to us.

Regards
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Brian@CJ's

Just a note on nest boxes. I have quite a few nest boxes placed around my garden as well as on the side of the house. They are often used by many birds for roosting and taking shelter from the wet and cold. Nest boxes can be used 365 days of the year, not just for the nesting season.
Brian@CJ's is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Jaxx

Some of our nest boxes are getting rather tatty now, including the nestcam box - which was used for roosting throughout the winter but disappointingly not for a nest this year. Is it safe to paint the outside of boxes with Cuprinol, or all but the front panel, or better to leave them in their somewhat 'rustic' natural state?
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:49 PM   #7
CJ Wildlife Advisor

Hi

Any water-based product should be fine for use on the outside of the nest box. House Sparrows can sometimes put in a surprise appearance and are capable of building nests quite quickly so it's worth just double-checking that the box is definitely empty before you start painting.

Hopefully the birds will appreciate the smart new exterior and move in next year!

Last edited by CJ Wildlife Advisor; 23rd June 2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Double signature
CJ Wildlife Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote