Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 4th June 2007, 01:35 PM   #11
bt4

Hi karenbee, glad to hear your story. I guess it's not 100% sure that even under perfect conditions all will go well but conversely even under adverse conditions nature can be pretty resilient!
I don't think there'll be a next time unfortunately, I can't take the risk that the cat was in fact the cause of the abandonment and the same might happen again.
bt4 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Sahbster

Unhappy Clearing out the bodies

I have read tonight on another website that the pair return to lay a second clutch of eggs after the first brood have flown.

At present I have 3 live chicks and 4 dead ones somewhere underneath them. One of the live ones isn't getting as much food as the other two so I don't think it will make it either.

There are flies in the box when the mother isn't there, climbing all over the chicks.

When they have flown, or died. Should I take out the nest material as well as the bodies and give it a clean out, or will they re-use the nest.

This is the first year I have put a box up. It has only been up for about 6 weeks so didn't expect to get anything in it this year.

It has an infra-red camera in it, so I haven't been lifting the roof off to peek.

One lesson I have learned is to get some live food in. 20/20 hindsight vision.
Sahbster is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 06:56 PM   #13
louise 1

hi i just need some advice as i have baby blue tits a nestbox, the parents are usually in and out the box all the time but i havnt seen the parents at all today and im worried they have been abandond their babies, what should i do?, i feel so sorry for them the babies are hungry as they are pokin their heads up to the hole with their mouths open!
louise 1 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 07:34 PM   #14
PiratesAhoy!

Hi,

Please see this thread: http://www.cjwildlifeforum.com/showp...3&postcount=47

From post 47 - Barbara Jane was in a similar position not so long ago, and the same advice will apply. If you're *sure* the nest has been abandoned, you can either try and hand-rear the chicks yourself, or get them to the nearest wildlife hospital.

Please consult this list for your nearest wildlife hospital: http://www.uksafari.com/wildlifehospitals.htm
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 07:46 PM   #15
louise 1

Thumbs up

hi, yes i was thinking about rearing them my self, i was going to wait till tommor just to see if the parents appeared, but will they live with no food for that long? is it normal for parents to stay away too long? i dont want to take them in then the parents come looking for them,. if i do rear them myself how often do i feed them? and do i leave them in the box outside or bring them into my house? i just dont know what to do, thanks so much for replying, ive been at a loss all day
Old 1st June 2008, 08:09 PM   #16
PiratesAhoy!

Hi Louise,

Have a read of the other thread, but basically young blue tits cannot be left for more than 6-8 hours really without food, except overnight obviously.

Again, if you're fairly sure they haven't been fed throughout most of today, then you'd better get them out of the nest box and inside. Although the parent bird would be giving them their final feed of the night about now, you can continue feeding them for a couple more hours, thus making up for some lost meals. Keep them indoors initially in a cardboard box, and if they're still nestlings, then try to construct something that emulates a nest box, such as a wide cup or bowl filled with soft tissue paper and covered with a hand towel or somesuch. Don't use cotton wool, as it can get stuck to nestlings.

I would feed them every 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on their age and how much they're getting to eat.

I mention KayTee Exact in the other thread, that's the stuff I use to hand rear little chicks such as blue tits. Alternatively you can make something up temporarily, because obviously you won't have the right stuff to hand at this minute. Pets at Home do sell the Exact, although it tends to be the larger stores that carry it. Check around, but it can be ordered online if need be. RobHarvey.com sells it, see here: http://shop.robharvey.com/kaytee-exa...r101-584-p.asp

You can obviously feed them live mealworms too - they'd be used to this in the wild, but not too many of these.
Old 1st June 2008, 08:10 PM   #17
PiratesAhoy!

Also, whereabouts in the country are you?
Old 1st June 2008, 08:16 PM   #18
louise 1

hi thanks so much, i am in humberside (hull) i dont know what to feed them? i dont have any worms or anything. and also how do i get them out of the box? will they bite? sorry if i sound daft but i want to do my best for them to survive, thanks again for replying
Old 1st June 2008, 08:34 PM   #19
PiratesAhoy!

Read this: http://www.cjwildlifeforum.com/showt...=5223#post5223

Grab the nest box and bring it inside. Open it up and put the chicks into a cardboard box. They won't bite you, they probably couldn't get their beaks around your finger, and at this stage of their life their beaks are soft and underdeveloped. The worst they could do to you is give you a nasty suck

Food wise, well if you can get hold of some tinned cat food (chicken flavour is probably best), then filter out the meaty chunks, and mush that down, possibly in a blender or just with a fork, until it's really a liquidy consistency. Then you can feed this to them using lollipop sticks or the handle of a small tea spoon or similar.

I will post again in a few minutes with some more food suggestions.
Old 1st June 2008, 08:45 PM   #20
PiratesAhoy!

3 Owls bird sanctuary have a bird feed page: http://www.threeowls.co.uk/birdfeeds.html

However, I'd be wary of using essentially bread, veg and fruit to feed blue tits. Their other suggestions are perhaps better - finely cut up raisins (soaked), or small bits of mince (has worked for others recently). Tiny amounts of ground up peanuts would probably work, but they're lacking in moisture so not really adviseable.

Cheese could also work temporarily, but small amounts, and the more 'mature' the cheese the better - as contains less lactose, which birds can't digest. No smelly/blue stuff though, just cheddar, for example.

If you have digestive biscuits, you could crumble some of them down, mixed with water until you have quite a fine consistency, but not too runny - kinda syrupy. This will also be quite nutritious.

Send me a PM on this forum (Private message - click my name on one of my posts, and click "Send a private message to PiratesAhoy!") with your phone number if you really need assistance, and I'll try and guide you over the phone.