Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Say Hello

Say Hello New Member? Feel free to introduce yourself - say a few lines about yourself & where you live

Old 5th June 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Tilly Solstice

Default Hi Everyone

We live in Leicester- not far out of town; have a large-ish garden and have had some sightings of birds we didn't recognise until we looked them up [ a flock of tiny Goldcrests; 2 kinds of woodpecker] and we have just seen what we think is a redstart.

It is bigger than a robin and VERY red; was bobbing about in a bush for ages but flew off when we tried to get a better look at it. Not sure it was a redstart- can anyone suggest what else it can be?

Look forward to being part of the forum.
Tilly Solstice is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Gandalf

Default post

Hiya TS: Did the bird look anything like the birds on the following link?
http://www.digital-nature-photograph...art-photos.php
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Peggo

Hi Tilly.

Could it have been a male bullfinch. See the pics on the link Gandalf provided. Bulfinches are about the same size as a robin however.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Tilly Solstice

Default Thanks for replies

Hi Both,

Pretty sure it wasn't a bullfinch [ I think I know bullfinch]; but it was redder than pics of redstarts we have seen on link and in bird books. Bigger than a robin- longer and larger area of red on breast. It looks more like a brambling, but in winter colours and we have only seen it at a distance and a quick sighting on our bird feeder[full of meal worms]
Am going to be in garden as early as possible tomorrow and see if I can get a pic of it- garden big and camera wouldnt focus on it.
Thank you and sorry for late reply. Not very IT literate; if I do get a picture I will try [dont hold breath] to post it.

Thanks again,
Tilly S
Tilly Solstice is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly Solstice View Post
Hi Both,

Pretty sure it wasn't a bullfinch [ I think I know bullfinch]; but it was redder than pics of redstarts we have seen on link and in bird books. Bigger than a robin- longer and larger area of red on breast. It looks more like a brambling, but in winter colours and we have only seen it at a distance and a quick sighting on our bird feeder[full of meal worms]
Am going to be in garden as early as possible tomorrow and see if I can get a pic of it- garden big and camera wouldnt focus on it.
Thank you and sorry for late reply. Not very IT literate; if I do get a picture I will try [dont hold breath] to post it.

Thanks again,
Tilly S
If you do manage to get a photo, let us know on here and we'll walk you through the required steps to post it on here.

G.
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
ScopsOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
If you do manage to get a photo, let us know on here and we'll walk you through the required steps to post it on here.

G.
Welcome Tilly

We love photos.

Yes, a photo will do the trick and it will help us ID the bird you are talking about.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 9th June 2012 at 04:40 AM.
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Samanthabarrett

Hello Tilly , I'm not sure where in Leicester you live but my parents and aunt live in oadby and have both seen exactly what you are describing, I have looked in all of my books and there isn't anything bigger than a redstart that looks like it. Have you had any luck with taking photos ?
Sam
Samanthabarrett is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Jandy

Hi, Tilly - You could try going through the RSPB's very comprehensive guide to British birds, alphabetically listed, on http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name. I think it covers all birds you would usually see in this country.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 05:45 AM   #9
sophie

Hi dear! I am new too and hoping to have a good time and conversation on wildlife.
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote