Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 25th October 2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Penna

Default Nest boxes

If you are considering putting up or re-newing your garden nest box now is the time to do it. I know that generally national nest box week is in February but I personally think getting your nest boxes now is much more beneficial for the birds. Not only does it allow your garden birds to see where nest boxes are in plenty of time for the breeding season it importantly allows some of the birds a great refuge for the cold winter nights forecast for the winter months. Many of our small birds that winter with us (in particular the Wren) huddle together in nest boxes to simply get them through the freezing temperatures. http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/wren.asp

So for a great Christmas present consider a nest box.
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...id=2&nav_id=39
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 11.jpg (135.8 KB, 8 views)
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Rowena

yes we think nest boxes make great Christmas presents too - especially for garden loving family members!
Rowena is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Peggo

I was thinking of putting a next box up. Does it need to be particularly sheltered/disguised in the breeding season. I ask because we have hawthorns at the top of our garden which aren't the densest of trees in terms foliage but are probably the best place to fix one. If you stick a nest box in a relatively open position doesn't it just advertise itself to predators?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Rowena

Hi Peggo, we recommend the following guidance for siting nest boxes . . . .
The best height for your nest box is widely accepted as being between 1.5m and 5.5m high (5ft - 18ft respectively). However, if your area has a particularly high cat population site your box even higher. If you only have an exposed site to offer, face the box somewhere between north through east to southeast, avoiding prevailing winds and strong sunlight. If siting in woodland, the dry side of the tree trunk offers the most protection. By their nature open nest boxes require more cover; siting them near to climbing plants where they can be partially obscured is ideal. Siting your nest box near vegetation also aids young birds taking their first flights as it gives them both physical support and good cover.

hope this helps, it sounds like the hawthorns will give some cover, and could be good for those first flights.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:45 PM   #5
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
Hi Peggo, we recommend the following guidance for siting nest boxes . . . .
The best height for your nest box is widely accepted as being between 1.5m and 5.5m high (5ft - 18ft respectively). However, if your area has a particularly high cat population site your box even higher. If you only have an exposed site to offer, face the box somewhere between north through east to southeast, avoiding prevailing winds and strong sunlight. If siting in woodland, the dry side of the tree trunk offers the most protection. By their nature open nest boxes require more cover; siting them near to climbing plants where they can be partially obscured is ideal. Siting your nest box near vegetation also aids young birds taking their first flights as it gives them both physical support and good cover.

hope this helps, it sounds like the hawthorns will give some cover, and could be good for those first flights.
Thank you for your information, Rowena, as I have a few stray cats in my garden...and it can be annoying at times when they cannot keep in their own garden areas (anyway cats is a subject that is been covered too many times to remember on all my bird Forums)

We have two trellis's - one has a chair between the end supports, and the other had my bird feeders hanging from the top area. Not cat proof by any stretch of the imagination. We have ivy near by and it needs to cover some of the area for the birds protection form cats.

As for the bird box, we pinned on up on the trellis that has the outdoor chair (we never use it at all) and it is not all that good for bird boxes.

We will consider repositioning the bird box next year, and take your height advice on board here.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Rowena

HI Kathy, glad the info was useful. i think it can be a case of trial and error when siting nest boxes with cats around. I have no doubt you will find a suitable spot though.

Rowena
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:08 PM   #7
ScopsOwl

Quote:
HI Kathy, glad the info was useful. i think it can be a case of trial and error when siting nest boxes with cats around. I have no doubt you will find a suitable spot though.

Rowena
Thank you Rowena

I still have my bird box still sitting on one of my Trellis's, and I really hope that the Blue Tits occupy the box this year with a bit of luck, and with my fingers crossed

A friend of mine made me a Bird Box and Bird table many years ago. They both need repaired now, and my OH has not got around to DIY-ing them to make them weather proof once more.

Will the Blue Tits be looking for bird boxes now - even though the weather has been quite cold? will the cold snap put them off?

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Rowena

hi Kathy, quite the opposite - birds can use nest boxes to shelter from the cold, so you may find a blue tit will occupy it and then go straight into nesting!
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:03 PM   #9
robert1934

Talking Nest Boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna View Post
If you are considering putting up or re-newing your garden nest box now is the time to do it. I know that generally national nest box week is in February but I personally think getting your nest boxes now is much more beneficial for the birds. Not only does it allow your garden birds to see where nest boxes are in plenty of time for the breeding season it importantly allows some of the birds a great refuge for the cold winter nights forecast for the winter months. Many of our small birds that winter with us (in particular the Wren) huddle together in nest boxes to simply get them through the freezing temperatures. http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/wren.asp

So for a great Christmas present consider a nest box.
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...id=2&nav_id=39
Yes, Its NestBox siting time again (despite the freezing weather). Last year I asked our local Council, Crawley, to put up some nest boxes in the local town centre Garden,(about 2 acres). This they did by placing 6 of Tit Boxes around the gardens indifferent trees. Unfortunately, this year 3 of the tres have been felled to make room forthe Childrens playground extension, now completed. So I have requested the council to put up 3 more, which I am waiting to hear if this will be done. Last year all the boxes were occupied with young, so maybe 30 or so young were reared, of which perhaps 10 survive now. ?
As a matter of interest, about 3 weeks ago, some Great Tits were seen inspecting a Box in my garden on the garage wall. they were in and out several times over a 15minute period !.
Also yesterday 2 february, A Mistle Thrush started to sing briefly, so Spring is not far away, but could be somewhat delayed due to the cold weather at present.The local Crows and Magpies have now taken to eating bird seed thrown on the garage roof, well out of the way of feline threats, but not a patrolling Sparrowhawk, who does a regular round every day about lunchtime but so far has not been seen to strike.
Robert1934

P.S. Has anyone seen Red-Legged Partridges in their area, as I would like to get a copy photo of anyone lucky enough to get a good picture. They are mostly common, I believe, in Yorkshire, Leicestershire, and Suffolk., while "UnCommon"/ Grey Partridges are sadly declining everywhere.
robert1934 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
hi Kathy, quite the opposite - birds can use nest boxes to shelter from the cold, so you may find a blue tit will occupy it and then go straight into nesting!
Hi Rowena

Now that is a great thought - that the birds realise they have a place to keep warm and to nest at the same time- so here is hoping that I have my foster families of Blue's this year

We have a couple of woven nest pockets about the garden for cold snaps,and I hope that the Wrens are finding warmth in them.
In our last garden we have all the signs of a mouse taking refuse in one of our woven Nest Pockets as there was a load of peanuts left in the Nest Pocket itself.

So we will see what the warmer weather shows for our winter cold month dwellers in their haste to keep warm.

Regards
Kathy
x