Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 21st May 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
elloweez

Unhappy Blue tit fledgling struggling to fly

Hi. My family live in England and we have a bird house/nest box in our back garden. It has had blue tits nest in it. We don't know how long ago the babies hatched. Today we noticed that one baby (who is slightly smaller than the parent bird) has left the nest and seems to be struggling to fly. He has hopped about on the ground all day and has only flown short distances, a metre at most.

We have little knowledge about birds, my Dad carefully picked up the baby and put it back in the nest box as we had read that he could have fallen. Around 5 minutes later he clumsily flew from the box again, and is now hopping around the garden. One of the parent birds is flying to the baby and feeding him.

We are anxious that a predator may kill the baby and whilst this is part of nature, we wondered if there was anything we could or should do to help?

Many thanks x

Last edited by elloweez; 21st May 2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Spelling error
elloweez is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Hevva

Hi. As no-one has posted a reply, and there are many far more expert than me, I would say that the best option would just be to leave him. As long as the baby is being fed and the parents are aware of him, then you will have to let nature take its course. The baby will get stronger day by day and the fact that he flew out the second time would indicate he was ready.
My tit box is positioned next to a large conifer so when they come out of the nest the tree is just a hop away and some years I hardly see them.
Let us know how he gets on.
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevva View Post
Hi. As no-one has posted a reply, and there are many far more expert than me, I would say that the best option would just be to leave him. As long as the baby is being fed and the parents are aware of him, then you will have to let nature take its course. The baby will get stronger day by day and the fact that he flew out the second time would indicate he was ready.
My tit box is positioned next to a large conifer so when they come out of the nest the tree is just a hop away and some years I hardly see them.
Let us know how he gets on.
Good call Hevva, In most cases leave well enough alone,
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tit, fledgling