Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 26th May 2009, 11:10 AM   #1
DIANE

Default robins have left the nest!!

All 6 robins have left the nest. They look so cute!! Feel quite sad that they have gone. Have cleaned out the nestbox thoroughly in the hope that we may attract a late brood. Does anyone know if this is likely?? Also do the robins come back to our garden to feed at a later date?
DIANE is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Pine Marten

congrats on your robins. You say you cleaned out the nestbox, does that m,ean you also removed the nest. If so i dont know if that was a good descision, not while it is still nesting season.
Just curious.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Jandy

Hi, Diane! Congrats on your brood of robin fledglings! It would have probably have been better for you in retrospect to have deferred the cleaning out of the nestbox till Aug/Sept as apparently they often lay a second clutch of eggs. My bird-book says - "The male may take over the feeding and care of one brood if a second clutch follows quickly." Though it doesn't say so, I imagine that would be the feeding of the fledglings after they have left the nest.

Last edited by Jandy; 27th May 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 06:15 PM   #4
DIANE

Thanks for your replies. The book I read said the nestbox should be cleaned out straight away as the birds often pull the old nests out and remake a new one. I feel really awful!! What makes it worse is that I saw mrs. robin look into the nestbox yesterday(obviously looking for the nest) I put the nest back inside in the hope she may see it and feel she wants to go back. Am new to this. Next year I will leave it until Aug. Sept as suggested. I really feel bad.
DIANE is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Nature__Lover

What type of nest box do Robins need?
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Jandy

Hi, Nature Lover! Robins need nestboxes with open fronts, not those with small holes as used by tits etc. You can see some examples of the right type on this website by going to Online Shop>Nest Boxes>General Purpose. (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/)

Last edited by Jandy; 23rd September 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote