Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Say Hello

Say Hello New Member? Feel free to introduce yourself - say a few lines about yourself & where you live

Old 30th December 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Walt

Default Feeding finches!

Hi, new to the site but interested in learning pointers about encouraging birds to my garden. Quite secluded and quite already have a range of popular birds but for some reason no finches, I can remember seeing finches a while back and they are in the area. Can you suggest feeders and feed that may help?
Regards Walt.
Walt is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Peggo

Hi Walt.

Being originally from near your neck of the woods there are certainly plenty of finches around. I've found that sunflower hearts are the all round winner when it comes to finches. We get the four main finches - gold, green, bull and chaffinches - as well as siskins, redpolls, and this winter for the first time some bramblings. They're all fond of sunflower hearts. Whatever is around will find your food eventually.

Cheers...
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
chilternbirder

I haven't had any in my garden this winter either. From memory they tend to prefer a fixed seed feeder rather than a hanging one. If your seed feeders are all swinging from brackets this may put them off a little. Also the weather has generally been quite mild, if wet, so they just may not feel the need to move into a new feeding area yet.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Walt

Smile

Thanks guys will take that advise and put it to the test...
Regards Walt
Old 7th January 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Walt

No finches as yet but today must have been ten long tailed tits feeding, great to see.....
Old 7th January 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Peggo

Yep, that's great to see. They are occasional visitors to our garden. It's funny how things come and go. I hadn't seen any bullfinches since before Christmas and then at the weekend there were 3 males and 2 females all there at once. I suspect there was another female somewhere since they always seem to travel in pairs.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Brian@CJ's

I have to agree with another post and find that sunflower hearts or kibbled hearts are always the birds favourite choice of food, although some sort of fat product also goes down a treat.
Brian@CJ's is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Walt

Things are diff looking up this past few week regarding finches. I have started using sunflower hearts which has encouraged regular visits from gold finches which I'm really pleased about. The other nice thing to see is a regular visit from mistle thrush.
Regards Walt
Old 21st April 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Jandy

All our seed feeders are hanging, rather than fixed, and I have never noticed this putting the finches off, even on very windy days. Half our feeders are filled with sunflower hearts, the favourite of the goldfinches, and the rest with mixed seed, which the greenfinches and sparrows seem to prefer.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote