Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 17th March 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
rogertb

Default Hole size and box depth ?

Hi chaps - I bought a nestbox at the weekend and have positioned it up a pole 10ft from the ground (to avoid predators access) and it is West facing, under some foliage (or it will be when some leaves appear), is this OK ? the hole is about 25mm is that big enough (for tits) ? (I swa one checking it out and it seemed to 'struggle' this is almost certainly my imagination) but the box is about 16cm from floor to hole - this is a naive question ... how will the chicks get from the nest and out of the hole when ready to fly ? - it seems a long way up - should I put some packing material in the bottom of the box ? Best Roger
rogertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogertb View Post
Hi chaps - I bought a nestbox at the weekend and have positioned it up a pole 10ft from the ground (to avoid predators access) and it is West facing, under some foliage (or it will be when some leaves appear), is this OK ? the hole is about 25mm is that big enough (for tits) ? (I swa one checking it out and it seemed to 'struggle' this is almost certainly my imagination) but the box is about 16cm from floor to hole - this is a naive question ... how will the chicks get from the nest and out of the hole when ready to fly ? - it seems a long way up - should I put some packing material in the bottom of the box ? Best Roger
Hi Roger,
West facing is not ideal but as it may well be shaded at the time of breeding you should be OK. (The full afternoon sun on the box would make things uncomfortable for the young chicks)
You need not worry about the chicks climbing up to the exit hole, they will do fine.
25mm is good for your garden Tits.

Great thing to do Roger
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 09:30 PM   #3
rogertb

Thanks Penna - I'll check the orientation and make sure it's out of direct sunshine in the afternoon ... I feel happier about the chicks now ... Roger
Old 27th March 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Jandy

Hi, Rogertb - Handy nestbox hole reference guide:

25mm - Blue/Coal/Marsh/Willow Tit
28mm - ditto + Crested Tit and Tree Sparrow
32mm - House/Tree Sparrow, Great Tit, Nuthatch and Pied Flycatcher
Open-fronted - Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Spotted Flycatcher, Wagtails and Song Thrush

It is recommended that nestboxes stay undisturbed during the breeding season (Feb-March).
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 06:23 AM   #5
rogertb

Thanks for that Jandy - very useful - Roger

Tags
depth, direction, hole, nestbox