Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Nest Boxes

Nest Boxes Questions, Answers & Discussion on Nest boxes

Old 30th November 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Nature__Lover

Default Nest box camera advice

Hi,
never had a next box up before so put one up this september.
Have had blue tits and other tits popping in and out to roost . I would love to buy a nest box camera but on a really tight budget at the moment and don't know what to buy!
anyone know of any cameras that are affordable and easy to wire up to a TV?

thank you .
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Beebee

Hi Nature Lover,

Here are a couple for under 50.http://www.handykam.com/Camera-kits/...-products.html I have the coloured version and I think it is very good. It can be connected to a TV. I connect mine to my laptop as my bird box is on the side of hubby's shed, which is right down the end of the garden, that way I can record any thing straight to my lappy.
Roughly what time do your blue tits start to roost, the birds around here stop coming to the garden for food about 3ish and just vanish. I am eager for something to roost in my nest box but haven't seen anything in there yet. Do they just sleep in the bare nest box?

Regards,
Beebee

Last edited by Beebee; 30th November 2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added link.
Beebee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Mobee

Hi Beebee

I have a great tit that is roosting overnight in one of my boxes. It comes in about 4 o'clock and is gone before I get up in the morning. The box has a small amount of moss in the bottom but they do roost in boxes that are quite bare.

Only advice I would give on a nest box camera is go for the best one you can. I have wasted money on a cheap one (Ebay, very cheap) but have then had to spend more money on a cable and adapter. This one didn't have night vision either so I have now splashed out even more cash and bought one with infra red. This is essential to get any picture when the light fades. Well worth it though.
Mobee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Nature__Lover

Thanks for the link BeeBee -I'll take a look in a minute.
It depends on the weather really. If it snows or rains badly around noonish a few will take shelter in the box. I don't think I've got one regular over-night roosting bird... but I can't observe properly really until I have a nest-box camera.
I think I saw a great tit go in once but can't be sure.
They seem to go in around 3 or 4- and onwards.
it's pretty irregular though at the moment as the box hasn't been up long.

Oh and yes, the bare box will be fine, i've read. Though sometimes they take their own bedding in (i've read , never experienced! )

-

thanks for the advice Mobee. I will make sure that the camera is up to the job before spending the money. This is why I asked for advice- I don't want to go wrong! haha.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Nature__Lover

looked at the link BeeBee!
this one looks fab
http://www.handykam.com/Camera-kits/...ypage.tpl.html

it has night vision, colour and a microphone.

can't wait to get it!
Old 30th November 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Beebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobee View Post
Hi Beebee

I have a great tit that is roosting overnight in one of my boxes. It comes in about 4 o'clock and is gone before I get up in the morning. The box has a small amount of moss in the bottom but they do roost in boxes that are quite bare.

Only advice I would give on a nest box camera is go for the best one you can. I have wasted money on a cheap one (Ebay, very cheap) but have then had to spend more money on a cable and adapter. This one didn't have night vision either so I have now splashed out even more cash and bought one with infra red. This is essential to get any picture when the light fades. Well worth it though.
Thank you Mobee, I'll have to nip down the shed after dark and hook up the laptop and take a peek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature__Lover View Post
Thanks for the link BeeBee -I'll take a look in a minute.
It depends on the weather really. If it snows or rains badly around noonish a few will take shelter in the box. I don't think I've got one regular over-night roosting bird... but I can't observe properly really until I have a nest-box camera.
I think I saw a great tit go in once but can't be sure.
They seem to go in around 3 or 4- and onwards.
it's pretty irregular though at the moment as the box hasn't been up long.

Oh and yes, the bare box will be fine, i've read. Though sometimes they take their own bedding in (i've read , never experienced! )

-

thanks for the advice Mobee. I will make sure that the camera is up to the job before spending the money. This is why I asked for advice- I don't want to go wrong! haha.
Thank you Nature Lover, I did wonder if they took anything into the box. Although I suppose it does offer more shelter than sleeping on a branch in a tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature__Lover View Post
looked at the link BeeBee!
this one looks fab
http://www.handykam.com/Camera-kits/...ypage.tpl.html

it has night vision, colour and a microphone.

can't wait to get it!
Well you're partly right Nature Lover, it does have night vision and a microphone, but the link is for the black and white camera. There is a colour version for an extra 5 though. I am sure you'll be pleased with whatever one you chose.

Beebee
Beebee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Nature__Lover

ah yes I see what you mean!
I'll definitely get the colour one.