Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Photos

Members Photos Please upload your photos for others to see. They can be of birds, your garden, your feeders or anything related to nature

Old 13th January 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
kintired

Default Glycerine in birdbaths - Good or bad?

I've been having birds arriving in my garden with their fronts "wetted" with glycerine from somebody's birdbath. I read somewhere that this could be bad for the birds if they digested too much but they also seem to take a long time to dry out.
What would be better for the birds....no liquid water for a few days (bearing in mind there's plenty of snow) or a glycerined supply.

Glycerined Starling Large.jpgGlycerined Sparrow Large.jpgGlycerined Robin Large.jpg

These pictures were taken a few days ago and I haven't seen glycerined birds since so perhaps the birds know.
kintired is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Shamal

Interesting dilema.
I don't like the thought of glycerine and what it could do to the plumage and oils in the plumage. Feather condition is crucial to survival. All the birds around here seemed very adept at eating snow for the water content.

I used some of the safe birdbath anti-freeze sold by CJ but it wasn't that great to be honest, it's not guaranteed at much below freezing.

Regards,
Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
dougied

I don't like the idea of using anything in a birdbath to be honest, except fresh water. I know it's not easy to keep the water from freezing at this time of year, but I just do the best I can
dougied is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Pine Marten

Thanks for show the pics Kintired. But i wont be generous to the people/person who put this substance in the water. I think it is pretty reckless myself.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Jandy

I wouldn't think glycerine would be at all good for the birds - it would probably remove any natural waterproofing from their plumage. I just add CitroSan to my birdbath each time I clean and refill it, for hygiene, and I have added IceFree only the once, as it was just before the thaw began, so can't really say how good it is.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote

Tags
birdbath, glycerine, ice, water, winter