Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Photos

Members Photos Please upload your photos for others to see. They can be of birds, your garden, your feeders or anything related to nature

Old 28th January 2008, 07:20 PM   #1
didlydon

Default Whats this mystery bird on our feeder??

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum thingy.... so I hope you might be able to help me by identifying this bird please. I first noticed it a few weeks ago but was unable to ID it from my bird book & the rspb website. Then this weekend whilst doing the rspb garden bird survey, who should turn up but this little fella! I hope the photos come out clear enough as I had to reduce them in size somwhat to upload them.... I bet he or she is a common bird that I just cant place. My wife & I think its some sort of bunting, maybe a Lapland??? What do you think. Please help us out here!! Thanks. Oh yes, location wise we are in Kent, about a mile inland, if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4708 copy.jpg (96.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4709 copy.jpg (122.6 KB, 56 views)
didlydon is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Gandalf

Sorry didlydon. Images too small for me to have a guess.
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 04:57 AM   #3
barn owl

Indeed a very small set of pics, but looking close it looks very much like a lesser redpole with red head and white underparts.
regards owl.
barn owl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Shamal

Hi,
Looks very much like a Brambling to me, it has been a good winter for this species with more in gardens than most years. Looks too big/bulky for a redpoll, you can see it is not much smaller than the greenfinches in the photos.

regards,
Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Georgieone

I can't guess either - can you get the photo a bit larger?
Georgieone is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Shamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlydon View Post
I hope the photos come out clear enough as I had to reduce them in size somwhat to upload them
By the way. You can upload very big photos on these forums. The maximum width is 1024 pixels and maximum height is 800pixels, the maximum file size is about 280kb if I remember correctly.

However, I'm 99.9% certain the bird is a Brambling, which you can just make out if you use a web browser magnify control (bottom right of internet explorer 7)

Regards,
Shamal
Old 29th January 2008, 03:14 PM   #7
PiratesAhoy!

I would guess, due to the very pale breast and chestnut wings, that it could be a reed bunting.

They're getting increasingly common in semi-urban areas, particularly in the winter, due to loss of habitat and difficulty of finding food. We have some visiting regularly during winter time.
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Shamal

I have taken the liberty of enlarging the orginal photo. There is quite a distinctive black line down the back of the head that I do not believe to be a shadow. I have also attached a photo of mine showing this is a distinctive feature of a Brambling.

The colour matches the orange of Brambling fairly well, as do some other features such as the head and also the almost pure white belly.

regards,
Shamal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdclose.jpg (58.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Bramblingtree.jpg (56.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 29th January 2008, 04:24 PM   #9
PiratesAhoy!

You're probably right, Shamal. The line down the head is distinctive. I figured the other dark line on the wing was a shadow, but now I'm not sure.

The only thing is, in the other picture you can see the chest area, and it seems to be much paler than a brambling would be - the brambling should be reddish/orange in that area.
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Shamal

The first photo shows a degree of over-exposure on the front of the bird, which appears to have blown out any detail or colouring. The first photo also shows the distinct black wing bars of the Brambling, I don't believe these to be shadow.

It's always fun on an i.d chase like this and there would be far less enjoyment with a stunning sharp close-up photo
Regards,
Shamal