Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 8th May 2006, 05:46 PM   #1
Kerry L

Angry Slug Pellets

I have just contacted the Hedgehog Preservation Society as I made rather a disturbing discovery. I found that one of our visiting hedgehogs had been eating slug pellets. In fact it had eaten so many, that the little poos were totally turqoise and crumbly. I fear the worst, but I had to find out if there was anything I could do. This is the reply:

HI Kerry
It sounds like slug pellets, and if it had ingested enough to turn poo blue I personally wouldn't be too hopeful that it has survived I'm afraid.
Please do write to local magazines, newspapers, WI's, gardening groups, etc and let them know what you have seen. Ask them to log onto our website http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/Gardening.htm for tips on how to tend the garden AND look after hedgehogs. If anyone prefers they can request a gardeining leaflet (enclosing an A5 SAE) to the address below and we will post a copy to them.
Hope this helps,
Thanks
Fay Vass
British Hedgehog Preservation Society
Hedgehog House
Dhustone
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 3PL

Tel : 01584 890 801

Apparently if anyone uses slug pellets, they should look regularly for dying slugs and remove them before hedgehogs eat them. Unfortunately it appears that it may have been one tiny slug and a whole pile of pellets (instead of being scattered sparsley). We do not use slug pellets as we garden organically, so I shall be writing lots of letters!

Here is the site for the organisation for the hedgehogs.
www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 10:29 PM   #2
bird lady

Default slugs

safest way to rid garden of slugs and not harm wildlife is a pot of beer in a yoghurt pot dug in the garden slugs love it they drown in it...............sad but safest metho d for other wildlife.
bird lady is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
dougied

Slugs, it seems, are not the easiest things to drown! The other night I went into the garden and removed around 30 slugs and snails from off my plants and dumped them all in a bucket of water. Not nice, I know, but apparently if you just move them away out of your garden, they have a homing device and just come back. Anyway, when I came to check the bucket next morning, they had all gone. I could just imagine them, after swimming a few lengths of the bucket, just crawling up and out ready to devour my plants another night! How come they seem to drown in beer, but not in just plain water?
dougied is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Kerry L

Default Ah, slugs and snails, may they rest in peace

Hi dougied
If you add some salt to your bucket of water, I guarantee that they will not swim out! It does make a very unpleasant soup, though! I feel if they happily munch my veg and plants, they might enjoy some salt with their dinner - oops another one bites the dust. Chase Organics do some good products for the war against slugs and snails. One I use happens to be blue pellets, but are totally harmless to wildlife, so my hedgehogs are safe.
Regards, Kerry
Old 16th May 2007, 01:42 PM   #5
dougied

Kerry, thanks for that advice, I'll try some salt in my bucket tonight.
dougied is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Loopy

I too use the blue pellets that are harmless to hogs and birds. I haven't had any reported incidents so far and my sunflower seedlings are not getting eaten to death!

They also live in the soil so I have got some nemaslug stuff that I'm going to water in today. I haven't tried it before but it's also wildlife friendly.

My question is, once you've drowned the slugs in beer, what do you do with them afterwards?
Loopy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Kerry L

I believe it is safe to tip out the sludge in the garden - it's just decomposing natural matter. If you log on to:
www.organiccatalog.com
Click on "pests and weeds", then "slugs and snails", scroll down to "professional slug and snail trap", click on "detail" and they say that the contents can be put on the compost heap. Depending on the compost heap, I would recommend putting only the lumpy matter on it, and the liquid will probably act as a plant tonic of sorts. A word of warning, if you are tempted to purchase this product (as I was) it doesn't contain the special bait, so I will be going off to test the local beer. Actually I am not a beer drinker, but am rather partial to rum - testing is for the slugs only!
Regards, Kerry
Old 19th May 2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Loopy

Thanks Kerry.
Loopy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 03:27 PM   #9
angie a

A teaspoon of washing up liquid also seem to prevent them crawling out. This also applies to anything you want to get rid of by knocking it into water. It sems to form a film on the surface that the beetles, wasps etc can't penetrate easily.
angie a is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Esmo

Default Slugs and Snails

Hi. I'm new , but I'm going to have my two pennerth !!
Anyone who thinks they can eliminate the slugs and snails from their gardens with poison pellets are kidding themselves.
You will just add more and more poison into the garden for the birds to eat.
You can always buy more plants, but once the birds are gone, they're gone.

Esmo.
Esmo is offline     Reply With Quote