Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 21st May 2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Kerry L

Default Bustard and other things.

Well I have at last spotted one. I was going to visit my mother and I use the back roads to avoid Stonehenge. There at one of the tank crossovers between Chitterne and Shrewton was one that was just watching the traffic go by. It was smaller than I thought, but when I looked it up to check I found that females are small in comparison. It was definitely a female.

In Overton on our walks to the north of the town brought us to a field where lapwings were nesting. Just the one family but I hope they will bring friends to stay next year. It was the first time that hubby had seen or even heard one. On that same walk we watched a hare that came up to within 20ft of us. It was hard to contain the excitement! A bit further along in another field we saw more hares. That pretty much doubled my lifetime sightings in one day! Then a friend who lives in Hull said I could go up and watch their hares - they are like rabbits in her area!

So apart from that everything else has been much the same - I have a new blackbird that has a stunted tail - he's been like it for a couple of years now and the feathers are so ragged. But he's moved territories this year and is beginning to get used to demanding his raisins from me and pretty much anyone else that hovers by the front door.
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Jenny

Kerry, seriously jealous! Best I can offer is that, for first time in I think 8 years, I have bull finches in the garden - well, they ain't that common up here!!

Isn't it something rather fantastic that this country is so diverse?

When I lived in Warwickshire the place was alive with hares and it's such a wonderful site. Last time I saw a hare was February and it was an arctic hare north of Inverness in Feb.

Sparrowhawk family back and so, thank heavens, are the bats. Blackbird nest destroyed thanks to neighbour's new mentally deficient cat it eats coal their other neighbour flings at it. Gutted!

Bambi is now in garden every couple of days - thankfully, he is partial to dandelions but has also decimated my rowans and some shrubs and likes clematis! And my pond is his wallow! GRR!

Internet has been lousy for many months - has just got back to being usuable.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Kerry L

Jennyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Hiya babes how are you?
We're staying in Tobermory in June and going on a few trips with Mull Magic - doooo hope we can catch up.
Naughty Bambi - or is he son of Bambi now?
Thing is I wasn't looking for the bustard - it caught my eye as I thought it was a funny looking bird! I also thought they were huge things but this was about the size of a big goose but the head and beak was wrong for a goose. But I mean standing and watching the traffic go by without a care in the world gave me the chance for a good look.

Not seen bullfinches here at all. We did have a few redpolls last year but not been seen since.

Yeah, we have a neighbour's panther that is a voracious hunter of birds. I think the mice are safe. Well until the chickens catch one and then it's the Benny Hill Show for a share of the protein. Not a pretty sight. Talk about velociraptors!!!

Well this year we are hoping to have some time with the puffins. Would be nice to see your otters again if we are lucky.

TTFN
xxx
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Jenny

I'm good, thanks. It's deffo Bambi and he's currently sunning himself on the edge of my patio! Puffins are back on Lunga but not yet on mainland Mull, well, last I heard anyway and Iona is getting deafened by corncrakes plus sea eagle chick hatched at the Seilisdir site.

Will email you at w/end. XX
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Kerry L

Cheeky deer! Maybe he's waiting for you to invite him to a BBQ! I think Iona is on our list of places to hop over to. Should be fun with the corncrakes then!

TTFN
xx