Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 27th June 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Janet Miller

Unhappy Woodpigeons

I have been having problems with woodpigeons since last year. I have gone from a six-port feeder to a four-port feeder and last week I purchased a two-port feeder and they are still eating the bird food that I leave in the feeder for garden birds. Bird food isn't cheap and they eat more than the small birds and its so frustrating when the pigeons keep eating the food. I have tried various different ways. I have tried putting a cage over the feeder but the smaller birds don't like it and the pigeons can still get to the food. I have bought food for the pigeons and left it on the ground but they are so greedy they eat it in next to no time and they still get on the feeders. The pigeons are increasing in numbers I think they must be telling all their friends. I have counted 7 pigeons so far its getting ridiculous.
Janet Miller is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Gandalf

Don't know what to suggest apart from using feeder guardians (the smaller birds will soon get used to them) Do not put any ground food down for a while to discourage the Woodpigeons. Apart from that not much you can do.
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Jandy

Your WPs must be rather smarter than ours here in London, Janet, as I have never seen any of them succeed in landing, or even trying to land, on our feeders. We only have one guardian, and that is on the peanut feeder to keep the squirrels off, and none of the tits which come it it have ever been worried by it, not even the long-tailed tits, which have some difficulty with their tails in the confined space, but are still happy to use it.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Janet Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
Your WPs must be rather smarter than ours here in London, Janet, as I have never seen any of them succeed in landing, or even trying to land, on our feeders. We only have one guardian, and that is on the peanut feeder to keep the squirrels off, and none of the tits which come it it have ever been worried by it, not even the long-tailed tits, which have some difficulty with their tails in the confined space, but are still happy to use it.
Thank you Jandy for your reply. I think I must be unlucky. They have actually cracked the plastic on one of the feeders which I bought not long ago because of their weight. What annoys me is no matter how often you shoo the pigeons away they keep coming back within a few minutes. I think I must have a garden for the retired pigeons (without my knowledge). I wouldn't mind if they stayed on the ground but they are frightening the little birds away and the amount of food that is disappearing its not possible for the small birds to eat so much. I am having to fill the feeders up every 2 days but some days the feeder is nearly half empty on the day I have filled it up.
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
chilternbirder

I have had wood pigeons landing on the starling feeder and eating the fat bar.
Photo (taken through a not too clean window) here

They have certainly attempted to land on the seed feeder on a number of occasions.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Janet Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilternbirder View Post
I have had wood pigeons landing on the starling feeder and eating the fat bar.
Photo (taken through a not too clean window) here

They have certainly attempted to land on the seed feeder on a number of occasions.
Your photo is amazing, you would have thought if a starling was to have a go at a pigeon it would frighten the pigeon off plus the fact that he lost some feathers. Pigeons are like vultures. They are driving me nuts. they just don't give up. For 20 minutes before I came on the computer I stood looking out of the kitchen window and they appeared on the feeder at least 6 times and still keep coming back. Bird food isn't cheap and I can't afford to feed pigeons its the small birds I care about. I left the birdfeeder empty for a day and I felt sorry for the little birds and their fledglings.
Old 5th July 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Jandy

I have a starling fat bar feeder just like Chilternbirder's, and I have not so far seen any woodies on it, though they might have a go while my back is turned! Do your feeders have trays fixed underneath to catch spillages, Janet, or just the usual perches? If I had your problem I might take off the removable round perches (I have the 'easy clean' type of feeder), just leaving the bar perches sticking out, which small birds could cope with, but I would think woodpigeons would have great difficulty with, as they would have to perch sideways and turn their heads to feed.
Old 6th July 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Janet Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
I have a starling fat bar feeder just like Chilternbirder's, and I have not so far seen any woodies on it, though they might have a go while my back is turned! Do your feeders have trays fixed underneath to catch spillages, Janet, or just the usual perches? If I had your problem I might take off the removable round perches (I have the 'easy clean' type of feeder), just leaving the bar perches sticking out, which small birds could cope with, but I would think woodpigeons would have great difficulty with, as they would have to perch sideways and turn their heads to feed.
No my trays do not have trays on the bottom of the feeders but knowing my luck if I did I think it would just make it easier for the pigeons. I thought I had frightened them away because on this particular day every time I saw one on the feeder I kept shooing them away and they didn't get on there for two days but yesterday it was back. I think its only two particular pigeons that get on the feeder the others are happy to stay on the ground.
Old 7th July 2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Jandy

Well it sounds as though there is only one way you can discourage them, and that is to hang your feeders inside guardians (cages), which your small birds will get used to in time.
Old 18th March 2014, 01:47 PM   #10

On the subject of wood pigeons, I have just seen some rather strange behaviour between two woodies that i can only put down to a mating ritual.

There are two on my bird table, and I assume they are a pair because they are feeding quite happily side by side, but every few minutes they stop, look at each other and the commence pecking the side of the others' respective heads. After a few minutes of this they return to eating.

Very strange. I have never seen it before.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote