Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 10th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
RayE

Default Food for a Goldcrest

At last. Had a Goldcrest come in my garden for the last few weeks. Was a bit stuck what to put out for it, it always goes to the same area. Put a few mealworms out, no luck. Started to feel a bit sorry for it, am I soft or what. Then I had a brainwave which is a bit strange for me hahaha. Got some of my homemade fatball mix but put crushed mealworm in it and smeared it on the hawthorn tree. This morning there it was pecking at it. Feel better now the Goldcrest as been sorted whoop whoop.
RayE is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
chilternbirder

In the days when I had goldcrests in my garden they never came to the feeders. Actually if he has come in at all it probably meas that there was some natural food available in the first place.

If you want to attract them my experience is that the best way is to plant an old Christmas tree as the previous owner of my house did. They used to peck over that every winter. Unfortunately it finally reached the point where the tree became too big for the garden.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Peggo

The one that comes into our garden is always happy to feed on the suet. However, as you say I think the reason it shows up in the first place is due to the presence of some mature conifers bordering the garden.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
RayE

Actually if he has come in at all it probably meas that there was some natural food available in the first place.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When it first came into my garden there was no natural food, everything was covered with snow. Thats why I wanted to put food out for it.
RayE is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Dillibags

I've had loads of goldcrests for several years now, they've sort of taken over the feeders! They love the kibbled sunflower hearts, they bring their babies as soon as they're old enough, think I have several generations now !

Oops sorry, misread, I'm thinking of goldfinches, never seen a goldcrest

Last edited by Dillibags; 9th March 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Dillibags is offline     Reply With Quote