Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 8th July 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
jeff

Default Bird of Prey

This morning I put out all the birds food and a handful of live meal worms, the wife and I were happily sat on the patio watching the birds feeding and the starlings helping them self’s to the meal worms, then all of a sudden everyone of them took off into the trees and surrounding bushes and in swoops a bird of prey the size of what I would say a large crow.

Although I was excited at seeing it and wish I had my camera to hand but I was worried for the other birds, We heard a rustling in the bushes as the bird of prey chased his food, then up pops this large bird onto the fence post with no food, he flew off but within 5 minutes returned to the same fence post, it sat there for maybe 20 seconds and again flew off and I haven't seen it since.

So anyone any idea what this bird of prey was and do I need to worry or take any action to protect my little feathered friends? I know its Just nature but I've become accustomed to sitting watching all the little ones feed, I could have quite easily chased off the bird of prey but like I say its Just nature and I'm not one for interfering with it but I don't fancy this bird of prey chasing off all the little ones so they fear visiting our garden.
jeff is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
jeff

This afternoons fiasco

Sat at my PC and all of a sudden a sparrow flew into my house and crashed into the mirror.
I went to see it and it was on the floor and I could see it was a young sparrow, I picked it up and he never even struggled.
I went to the back door to let it go and there on the fence was this hawk again, so I kept hold of this little fella because he was obviously stunned maybe he was chased in here by the hawk?
I waited until the hawk (or whatever it is) to fly off and went to the bushes and trees in the garden and opened my hand for this little fella to hop into the bushes but he stayed in my hand, I decided to put him in my box in the workshop and I felt him struggle in my hand, so I took it back to the bushes instead, again I opened my hand and off it flew into the trees, one little sparrow now safe and well.

I know I said I don't interfere with nature but I couldn't just let this baby go with a bird of prey sat on my fence waiting for an easy meal, I couldn't sit there watching a little bird get torn up and eaten, I would feel so guilty.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:30 AM   #3
PiratesAhoy!

It'll be a sparrowhawk. They're the ones that generally come into gardens.

Yes, the sparrow flew into the window in a panic. It takes them a little while to recover after stunning themselves like that. I've nursed a greenfinch in my hands for about an hour in the past!

Good for you for looking after the sparrow for so long
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 10:37 AM   #4
jeff

It does give you a little chuff when you see them fly off back to their own environment again.

The next door neighbour said itís a sparrow hawk so your right, itís a beautiful bird and fantastic to see but not one I want around while trying to encourage other birds into the garden.

Oh and the Robin returned today, That's one little guy I want to try and feed from my hand.
Old 11th July 2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Shamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post

Oh and the Robin returned today, That's one little guy I want to try and feed from my hand.
The irony is, that a Robin has a more sinister side than even the Sparrowhawk, as the latter simply kill to eat and survive, where-as the Robin will often kill another bird, and not just fellow Robins, simply down to territorial disputes.

Very few birds go to the extremes of killing over territory, the Robin is one.

You may have to live with the occasional Sparrowhawk casualty... your are in effect putting out food for them The Sparrowhawk will usually remove the weaker birds, which is all part of wildlife.

regards,
Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
jeff

Thanks for than info Shamal, I had no idea about the little robin being territorial and the little fella returned to our garden the other day, he/she doesn't seem to hang around here as much as he did before disappearing for a few weeks.
Old 13th July 2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Nature__Lover

Apparently (although they may be a little unwelcome) if you see birds of prey in your garden, it is a sign that you have a bird-thriving garden.
I saw a sparrowhawk in my garden once.

You are very lucky to have a robin visiting... for some reason I never see them in my actual garden. Only in local parks... I wonder why this is?
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 09:08 PM   #8
jeff

I love the ronin, A few weeks back maybe a couple of months now, he was an every day visitor and he even came into my workshop and landed on the handle of the lawn mower, he/she stood there for a minute or so and I froze as not to frighten it and then it just took off out of the workshop, It went away for a couple of weeks and has now returned but we only see it about once a day now, so I hope I can get it to come back as regular as it once did.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Hevva

Robins almost always disappear during the summer months into wooded areas. I have seen one here over the past couple of days but it is normally September when they return in force. My three baby robins disappeared very quickly after they fledged, along with the parents, and I expect they will come back to claim a territory of their own.
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
jeff

I'm happy to report that our little robin has returned, I've only seen him since yesterday and he returned again today, so I'm now a happy man.