Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 19th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #11
lardboy

Here is an update on my 16th Jan post. Interestingly the fat balls are proving to be a big hit with Blackbirds and Robins. I have repositioned them so that these birds can access them. However Tits remain uninterested.
I have now made suet balls. No birds are showing interest but my guess is that garden birds take some time before they show interest.
I agree with previous posts that Suet is much more expensive than Lard. Twice the price.
lardboy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Jenny

Can't get suet here anymore so it has to be lard; the birds don't seem to mind! I mix dried mealworms into the bird cake mixture sometimes - that disappears like a shot!
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 05:33 PM   #13
lardboy

I bought Atora shredded suet 1.10 for 100g from our local Tesco.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:46 AM   #14
RayE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardboy View Post
They may well be cheap but in my experience birds tend to turn their beaks up at cheap fat balls. I bought a multi pack in those green nylon net bags and my birds did not touch them.
Same here. Is there any fat in the cheap ones. I think they are just biscuit crumb.
RayE is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:52 AM   #15
RayE

I make my own fatballs with lard with added dried mealworm and a bit of porrige oats to stiffen the fatballs up. I break some up for birdtable aswell. They go down well.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Peggo

We buy the suet logs normally. The birds have been spoilt by these and won't touch any of the suet balls when we put them out. We try to buy them when they're on offer as it works out pretty expensive otherwise. I then try and position the feeder where the magpies can't get to them but they always seem to manage it eventually. I don't want to fork out upwards of three quid a day to keep marauding magpies in food.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
lardboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggo View Post
We buy the suet logs normally. The birds have been spoilt by these and won't touch any of the suet balls when we put them out. We try to buy them when they're on offer as it works out pretty expensive otherwise. I then try and position the feeder where the magpies can't get to them but they always seem to manage it eventually. I don't want to fork out upwards of three quid a day to keep marauding magpies in food.
Yes the bought Suet logs are very popular with our birds as well. This is the equivalent of 'fast food' and are the ones that the birds go too in preference to my 'home produced' very good quality suet and lard logs. I don't know what they put in them but they are very popular. Probably loads of sugar, saturated fats and salt!!!!!
It is not Magpies that tuck into mine but Grey Squirrels.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
RayE

Just made some more of my mix. Hopefully the weather might warm up a bit in the next few weeks and that will be the end of the fatballs for this winter.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:40 PM   #19
lardboy

Wood Pidgeon are now my main customers. Although I am beginning to see Coal Tit coming to the home produced fat cake I have out for them. Still mystified that Blue,Great and Long Tailed only come to the shop bought cake. Don't know what I am doing wrong
Old 10th February 2013, 06:05 PM   #20
RayE

Starlings are my main customers on my fatballs, I get Long Tailed Tits on them aswell. The Coal Tits and Blue Tits come and take a black sunflower seed and take it to the hawthorn tree to eat, the Great Tits have the sunflower hearts.