Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 13th November 2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Solomon

Default Suet vs. Lard

At my local shop, lard is cheap, but suet is much more expensive (3-4 times the price!). Is lard an acceptable alternative to suet? Does it have a similar calorific/fat content? I read somewhere (I think it was the RSPB website) that birds actually need saturated fat, the ones that are bad for humans. I wonder if there is a bird "health food guru" going about trying to get birds to eat more leafy green vegetables?

The reason Im asking as a] that money is tight, and b] I want to have a go at making some treats for the birds. I can get fat balls off eBay very cheaply, so I figure Id rather spend the better portion on something to treat the birds with.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Emma

Lard is fine to use for fat cakes - and you're right, it's a lot cheaper!

I use both - depending on my mood
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Solomon

Thanks for the advice.

I made my first suet cake today, and I can honestly say I will never eat a dumpling. Melted suet is one of the most revolting things Ive seen in a long time. I just hope the birds like it.
Old 16th November 2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Emma

LOL It is pretty horrid stuff.

The birds will love it!
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 05:45 PM   #5
storye_book

Default hardening suet cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I made my first suet cake today, and I can honestly say I will never eat a dumpling. Melted suet is one of the most revolting things Ive seen in a long time. I just hope the birds like it.
Don't know if this will help - I've heard that melting and hardening suet cake twice will harden it up for the garden, so it survives better e.g. in rain and heat. I melt the suet in a pan, harden it quickly by standing the pan in cold water, then putting it in the freezer - then melt it again and add the fancy bits (nuts etc). It seems to work so far.

Just one point though - I've been putting black sunflower seeds in with the other ingredients - and noticed today that the blue tits have been eating round the seeds - just taking the suet and chopped peanuts. Time for an ingredient rethink?
storye_book is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Solomon

Thanks for the tip, storye_book! Ill give it a go.

Try using sunflower hearts in the mixes. I think the birds have trouble getting the seed casings off the sunflower seeds when they have a mouthful of suet. To "kibble" them, put them in a food processor, and pulse blitz them.
Old 17th November 2006, 07:30 AM   #7
storye_book

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, storye_book! Ill give it a go.

Try using sunflower hearts in the mixes. I think the birds have trouble getting the seed casings off the sunflower seeds when they have a mouthful of suet. To "kibble" them, put them in a food processor, and pulse blitz them.
Good idea - will do. Currently I'm trying a mix of beef suet, kibbled peanuts and minced currants for robin/blackbirds. I've put it out in a lump on the high bird table for the robin, and don't know whether to break it up on the ground for blackbirds. Anyone tried anything similar?
storye_book is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
lardboy

I bought lard and mixed seed and dried fruit into the lard. I didn't need to melt the lard I just worked the seed/fruit into the cubed lard. I then pressed it into small pots and hung them out for the birds. Interestingly the birds ignored these preferring to feed from purchased suet blocks. I plan to try suet and see whether they prefer suet based feeders. But I have not found anything on the web suggesting that suet is preferred to lard! Any views?

Last edited by lardboy; 16th January 2013 at 10:04 AM.
lardboy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
tamurman

Quote:
At my local shop, lard is cheap, but suet is much more expensive (3-4 times the price!). Is lard an acceptable alternative to suet? Does it have a similar calorific/fat content? I read somewhere (I think it was the RSPB website) that birds actually need saturated fat, the ones that are bad for humans. I wonder if there is a bird "health food guru" going about trying to get birds to eat more leafy green vegetables?

The reason Im asking as a] that money is tight, and b] I want to have a go at making some treats for the birds. I can get fat balls off eBay very cheaply, so I figure Id rather spend the better portion on something to treat the birds with.
hope you dont mind me but the pound shops are very cheap for fat balls
tamurman is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 02:05 PM   #10
lardboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamurman View Post
hope you dont mind me but the pound shops are very cheap for fat balls
They may well be cheap but in my experience birds tend to turn their beaks up at cheap fat balls. I bought a multi pack in those green nylon net bags and my birds did not touch them.
lardboy is offline     Reply With Quote