Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Suggestions

Members Suggestions use this forum to give us feedback and ideas and suggestions for improving our services

Old 2nd October 2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Default Ideas and Suggestions Wanted

Here at CJs we are always striving to provide new products to help care for UK wild birds and wildlife.

We welcome any suggestions for new products or improvements to existing products.

We would also like to hear from you if you have any comments or suggestions regarding the service provided by CJ Wildbird Foods.

We look forward to reading any ideas or suggestions you may have.

Lisa Veale
New Product Co-ordinator, CJ Wildbird Foods.
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Janet

There are two products I have wanted for a long long time and cannot get anywhere. Well they’re not exactly new products, could be just adjustments to current ones.

Bird Table with Roof and Wire Sides
I shall within the next few weeks be purchasing one of CJ’s Pole Mounted BTs with the mesh bottom to it. However I have a problem with pigeons and need the table to have a roof and wire sides so access is only for small/medium birds. Therefore I am going to have to add my own roof and use garden mesh for the sides.

The design of the one you have seems great with the mesh floor (more hygenic and easier to clean than a wooden floor I imagine) and perfect that it is pole mounted. But would it be possible to design and sell one with a top and sides?

Peanut Feeder with Solid Centre
I have been feeding peanuts from a wire feeder for a few years and find that the peanuts do not keep longer than a few weeks. There must be rather a lot of feeders around with some mouldy nuts, as I’m sure not all realise how fast they deteriorate and check and replace them often enough. As mouldy nuts can kill birds it is something I have tried to overcome without wanting to simply throw them away. Just put less in you may say, but then with a half ull feeder there is only roon for one or two to feed. What I needed was not too many nuts but large surface area.

I have been using a thin upturned spice jar inside my nut feeder (just a normal cylinder wire nut feeder). It means that the nuts are only around the outside of the feeder for the birds. There is then a large surface area of nuts but not loads piled up in the middle. With a smaller quantity in the feeder they don’t have time to degenerate.

It has certainly helped me but a spice jar isn’t ideal! As it moves around whilst filling the feeder and is too short. I would love to see a wire nut feeder with a solid centre piece to keep the nuts around the outside. Ideally this would be screw in so it could easily be removed for cleaning. If it means less mouldy nuts about then it can’t be bad.

Hope you understood all that! Bet you wish you hadn’t asked!! LOL!

Janet is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Thank you for the feedback, both are excellent ideas and I will certainly put your suggestions forward as potential new items for the future.
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Birdman

Send a message via Yahoo to Birdman
Default Bird feeder trays

Although a newbie in this forum but not with CJ, but I would like to pass comment on the trays that are screwed onto the bottom of seed holders, and my point is...'rain water'...it's ok having small holes drilled in for water to disperse, BUT it never does since the birdseed blocks the holes and eventually it become a drinking station for them instead ( Oh!, that's good you say, and I agree ) but since the design is to allow water to drain away...would it not be better if a wire mesh of sorts was used instead?

And on another somewhat humourous note, pidgeons seem to use it now as a feeding platform..

Always a good service and good food...continue with your good work.
Birdman is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Shamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
Although a newbie in this forum but not with CJ, but I would like to pass comment on the trays that are screwed onto the bottom of seed holders, and my point is...'rain water'...it's ok having small holes drilled in for water to disperse, BUT it never does since the birdseed blocks the holes and eventually it become a drinking station for them instead ( Oh!, that's good you say, and I agree ) but since the design is to allow water to drain away...would it not be better if a wire mesh of sorts was used instead?

And on another somewhat humourous note, pidgeons seem to use it now as a feeding platform..

Hi Birdman, welcome along.

A cracking suggestion, I have the same problem and I expect many others do. I did enlarge some of the holes but it didn't really help.

I know what you mean about the Woodpigeon and Collared Doves getting on them, so I utilise the holes and wedge some very thin but stiff plastic in them so they act as spikes. It deters the Pigeons but not the small birds.

Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Birdman

I know what you mean about the Woodpigeon and Collared Doves getting on them, so I utilise the holes and wedge some very thin but stiff plastic in them so they act as spikes. It deters the Pigeons but not the small birds.
-------------------
Also a excellent idea Shamal and thanks for the warm greetings..

Talking of scattering 'wild' bird seed on the lawn, oh such a lovely thought but now I have more wild wheat growing than I do grass..(smile) maybe that would be better than grass seed, it certainly grows faster and thicker..LOL
And all for the sake of our feathered friends..LOL
Old 6th October 2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Birdman

Here at CJs we are always striving to provide new products to help care for UK wild birds and wildlife.

We welcome any suggestions for new products or improvements to existing products.

We would also like to hear from you if you have any comments or suggestions regarding the service provided by CJ Wildbird Foods.

Lisa Veale
-------------
Lisa.

You know the wife came home with a packet of unshucked peanuts, something we always used to buy but seems to have faded from sight of late,
So I was wondering if such a item could be brought back into circulation, unless you consider them to be a messy food to handle.....The hours, over time, we have watched a squirrel squatting on the lawn just nibbling at the husk before gaining the nut inside, also would stop the pidgeons and doves from consuming them..they have their own rations...LOL
Old 26th October 2006, 02:11 PM   #8
nocturnal_nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post

Just like to say that I have this problem too and find that any bird seed dropped in to the tray (by the birds) become an unedible and horrible mess, and yes it blocks the tiny drain holes.

A mesh tray would probably be a better option as currently tiny holes do not drain rain water away.

Which brings me to the suggestion that I have.

With heavy rainfall, I find that the water still somehow gets in to the feeders via the feeding ports, making the food wet, which the birds (mine anyway)don't like and therefore don't eat.

What I would like to see are rain guards that can be placed on top of the (pole mounted) feeders in order to try to stop the rain from getting in. Something similar to the clear squirrel guard domes that you can get. They'd have to be an optional addition though as during the summer months where we may get a few days or even weeks if lucky without rainfall, they would not be needed.

NN

PS. My pigeons don't need a tray to perch on, they've discovered how to use the perching rings at the feeding ports
nocturnal_nancy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Birdman

Greetings Nancy
That sounds a suitable idea Nancy although I would have modified it slightly with a wind breaker attached to one side so as to prevent the wind direction of the capped seed holder being buffeted and saturated by the prevailing wind and rain, since rain never really falls down in a verticial plane.
Oh the things we do and devise in order that our feathered friends receive the greated attention..
Best wishes.
Old 16th November 2006, 05:57 PM   #10
storye_book

Default candelabra arms and large fat feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post

Lisa Veale
I would like to use your candelabra arms to get the height for several feeders, and would like to fix the large (1-litre) fat feeder on top - but it has a socket-fixing underneath it which will not fit over any top-fixings on the candelabra arms (according to what I can see from your catalogue photo). Please could you produce an attachment to solve the problem?

I imagine it would be something like: a piece of dowel/tubing about 6 ins long, with something halfway along it to prevent it falling through the candelabra socket - e.g. a nail stuck through the dowel, or a skirt moulded onto the tubing. Then the bottom half goes in the candelabra socket, and the top half sticks up so you can slide the fat feeder socket over it.

I don't really want to hang the fat feeder on its chain, as I bought it to attract blackbirds, starlings etc which like plenty of room to stand on top. Thanks.
storye_book is offline     Reply With Quote