Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 1st December 2008, 09:45 PM   #1
ste

Default Bird Book including Nut Hatcher

Would someone mind taking a quick look in their Hardback Colins Bird Guide and tell me if there is much stuff in there on the Nut Hatcher?

I am looking to buy a bird (identifying) book as a gift. I see that many here recommend the 'Collins Bird Guide: The Most Complete Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe (Hardcover)' as a shelf reference.
[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bird...ritain/dp/0002
197286/sr=8-2/qid=1170094791/ref=pd_ka_2/203-6403203-8355904?ie=UTF8&s=books]

It sounds good; but the person in question has a rare visitor to his garden every year that stays for about one winter month. The running theory is that it is a Nut Hatcher or similar related bird, so if it doesn't get much coverage then the book would not go down too well. It'd even be fine if the book can comprehensively show that the bird is not a Nut Hatcher!

I'd love to hear any alternative book suggestions if there is not much mention in the collins hardback.

Thanks!
ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Shamal

Hi,
Well, the Eurasian Nuthatch gets the same sort of entry as any other bird in this book (the book covers every bird species in Europe, and many in N. Africa and the middle East), maybe 400 words or so on your particular bird. The illustrations are glorious and show 4 of the subspecies of the Eurasian Nuthatch and also show the Nuthatch in its distinctive head- first walk down a tree trunk.
The book also covers other Nuthatches found in or near Europe in equal detail.
The bottom line is that the book is a field guide, so identification is the major point, rather than pages devoted to one particular species.

There is a book devoted to the species entitled 'The Nuthatches'
by Erik Matthysen, although it could be heavy going.
http://www.wildlifebooks.com/product...=1&prd_id=4370

Following a detailed description of the ecology and behaviour of the Eurasian Nuthatch, the author goes on to consider what is known of the other species and to compare and contrast their biology. Although little is known, this part of the book gives fascinating insights and sets the scene for further work which may explain the links between the ecology, behaviour, habitat and evolutionary relationships of the various species. Tables, graphs, b/w photographs and illustrations. 311pp. 1998

regards,
Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 11:27 PM   #3
ste

Great!
And thanks for the well written answer. I really appreciate it.
ste is offline   Reply With Quote