Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 7th February 2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Rosie

Default Does the small ground feeder guard keep out starlings?

Just that really. I currently have a guard with large holes (source unknown) and it keeps out neither starlings or squirrels, who can both enter with ease.

The squirrels aren't too much of an issue as they are mostly happy with their squirrel feeder, but the starlings are as they monopolise the ground feeder and keep the smaller birds away - I also have a separate fat ball feeder for the starlings, but of course they prefer the premium peanut cake on the ground feeder rather than the cheapie fat balls I got for them especially.

Due to the number of starlings and the volume of food they consume I really would rather just keep them to the fatballs and dropped food. So does anyone have the small holed feeder guard and does it keep starlings out (and let robins/dunnocks etc in)?

Thanks,

Rosie
Rosie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 10:36 AM   #2
CJ Wildlife Advisor

Hello Rosie

The small mesh version of the ground guard that we sell will discourage small numbers of Starlings, but if you have a determined flock a few bold individuals usually force their way through and before you know it the whole flock is in there, so I'm afraid the short answer to your question is no.

Sometimes moving the ground feeder close to cover such as under large shrubs can successfully deter Starlings and allow smaller species to feed, but that does increase the risk of cat predation so is probably best reserved for gardens that don't usually get visited by cats.

I hope that's helpful.
CJ Wildlife Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote