Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 2nd April 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
jmrg

Default avoid the presence of house sparrows and doves

I am currently feeding birds, on my little terrace, with black sunflower seeds and fat balls. Usually went some tits and goldfinches. But lately many sparrows deplete food quickly. I wonder if it is possible to avoid the presence of house sparrows and doves.

Thank you.

jmrg is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Jandy

You may not know this, jmrg, but house sparrows, once so common, are now one of the species that are sadly declining, and need plenty of encouragement. I for one am always pleased to see them in the garden, and welcome them making a beeline for the fat balls. Tits obviously like fat too, but there is no competition with the goldfinches, who are only greedy for my sunflower seeds.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Jenny

Jandy, we seem to be very lucky in reversing the house sparrow decline - my jungle is full of sparrows - counted over 30 of them yesterday when I accidently spilled some seed on the drive! They're such cheery wee birds, love having them about.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Cathy in Edinburgh

A flock of house sparrows has discovered my seed feeders. I count up to about a dozen. As they are obviously feeding young, they are hopping into the cage and taking mealworms meant for my many great/blue/coal tits and robin.
Cathy in Edinburgh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 07:03 AM   #5
jmrg

I think here in my country there is no problem jet with house sparrow, but is interesting to read your point of view.

Thanks to everybody.
jmrg is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Hi jmrg,

My only advice that I can give to prevent sparrows and doves is to change the mix of the food you put out.

If you have the food that certain common birds love, then they will take over the feeding area.

I tend to put out various other foods, such as dried fruit - sultanas are a favourite with blackbirds and thrushes, but sparrows and doves ignore that food.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Jandy

I have noticed that CJ sells a food specially intended for pigeons, doves and domesticated poultry (Mixed Corn) containing wheat and maize. I'm wondering whether it is possible, if you can track down birdseed not containing these ingredients (which a lot of them do), that this might discourage the doves? Do you put the feed on a birdtable, or in a hanging feeder, or both? Usually pigeons and doves, unless very crafty, would not be able to use a hanging feeder, but if they were able to, you could always get a guardian (ie cage) as seen in the CJ catalogue or on the website, to protect the feeder from all but small birds.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Cathy in Edinburgh

Jandy - Hanging feeders do not stop bigger birds! See this video of a wood pigeon who has learned how to get at the seeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAx97O82ucs (sorry, the TV was on in the room while I took this).
He has now taught the local jackdaws who also raid the feeder. The problem is probably caused by the perching rings, rather than the little bars on previous versions of the feeder.
Cathy in Edinburgh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Yes, I have learned to live with a few wood pigeons and collared doves, who seem to eat most items that I put out.

However, I do not buy any commercially available bird food mixes as they invariably contain seeds.

I mix my own, and keep it in a large plastic box (sold as a child's toybox I think) with a tight fitting lid.

My ingredients are cheap 'value' lines from the supermarket, plus suet pellets. I just stir the ingredients around with an old garden trowel and put an amount out on the bird table each day.

The mix usually comprises - mixed dried fruit, porridge oats, muesli, berry suet pellets and insect suet pellets. However, occasionally I will add other things such as a packet of dried mealworms into the mix for a bit of variety.

The birds seem to love it, although the dried fruit and suet pellets go first, but they will eat the rest when they realise that is all they are going to get for a while.

Peanuts and sunflower hearts are only available from me in hanging feeders, not in the my table mix. That tends to discourage the larger birds.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote