Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 8th December 2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Pine Marten

Certainly is a hawke. Goldfinches were lucky.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 05:07 PM   #22
Peggo

Swings and roundabouts I guess Pine Marten. They've taken a fair few hits over the last months but as I say I haven't seen any evidence of any strikes over the last few weeks. I thought he'd moved on to pastures new but he's obviously still hunting around here. Will keep my camera handy for some better shots in the proper daylight.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 05:12 PM   #23
ScopsOwl

I would a Sprawk is the culprit, and local one who has latched on to the birds feeding at your feeders.

BoP's will play on the fact that because we humans feed birds it opens the door for an easy meal for them

I think cats would a lot more sneaky, and hide their trophies in bushes.

There is a local cat that likes to sit under our feeders in our garden. IMHO, I do not trust it at all, and chase it off as much as I can - there again it might be harmless and wants a bit of human interaction - that is how I think the situation is how it is...hard one to farthom at the best of times.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 08:56 AM   #24
Peggo

I have just seen the sparrowhawk catch a goldfinch. I was actually watching two goldfinches on the feeder through the bincolulars when it happened. It landed on the lawn right in front of the kitchen. I grabbed my camera to get a shot but I'd left my memory card in the computer upstairs!!! As I started moving away to go get it the bird flew off with it's prey. There is therefore no evidence of anything on the lawn. If that's been the case every time then no wonder the number of goldfinches is markedly down on what it was a couple of months ago. I suspect however that if I hadn't been there it would have done it's plucking on the lawn again. Who knows whether this is his first successful strike in the garden for a while or not.

Does anyone think I should move the rest of the feeders into the trees at the back of the garden for a while. I know it's all natural and everything but I'm 'unaturally' concentrating the birds around a very attackable target even if there were only two goldfinches on the seed feeder at the time.
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
tamurman

i had the same problem peggo!! yes move the feeders the hawk will have to go ells where and the birds will feel safe on the feeders
tamurman is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 04:13 PM   #26

Returning to the subject of Magpies, I have just witnessed one catch and kill a baby rat on my lawn. The rats nest (I think) under an old workshop behind my garden.

The baby rats tend to be fearless and appear during the day to eat food which falls from the bird table.

The magpie just pounced on the rat and proceeded to peck it to death, occasionally flicking it over with its beak and foot to see if it was still moving. Once it was satisfied the rat was lifeless, it flew up onto the bird table, ate a few mouthfuls of my birdfood mix and flew off - leaving the dead rat on the grass.

I have never seen that behaviour ever before.

John
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote