Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Photos

Members Photos Please upload your photos for others to see. They can be of birds, your garden, your feeders or anything related to nature

Old 27th April 2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Jack

Default You can make a Dove a nest site...but you can't make 'em nest!

Two years ago we had a problem with some doves building their nest on our Satellite dish. The real problem was that their industrious building affected the picture as they used the mesh of the dish to anchor their nest by pushing things through it!
Not wishing to dispatch them entirely I set about encouraging them to build on a platform I supplied; see pic1 and pic2. They took to it eventually and produced two fledglings.

This year however, they are up to their old tricks! They seem hell-bent on building the most precarious nest possible. Their first attempt (back on the dish's arm) failed as I found broken eggs on the ground underneath. They could then be seen around the surrounding houses attempting to build in the most precarious places; the funniest was on top of a neighbours open window!!

I moved the remnants of their first attempt back to the platform but they were having none of it! They started again on the dish arm and this time they were successful; see pics 3,4 and 5. The two here are this year's fledglings - I missed the parent bird feeding them two minutes before hand.

Nutters!!

I only wish I had a better camera than my point-and-shoot, but as I prefer my kidneys where they are the Digital SLR will have to wait!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dove 002(1024x768).jpg (117.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Dove 001(1024x768).jpg (106.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0781(1024x768).jpg (43.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0782(1024x768).jpg (87.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783(1024x768).jpg (64.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Jack; 27th April 2008 at 12:55 PM.
Jack is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Georgieone

Brilliant storey Jack and I can't help laughing - interesting photo's as well. You'll have to put a safety net under the aerial !!!
Georgieone is offline     Reply With Quote