Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 4th May 2008, 04:04 PM   #21
banks

Quick up-date ... the House sparrows that built nest in nestbox in wooded area have laid eggs. It would appear there was about seven days between completing nest and getting round to laying.

Large number of Goldfinches (30+) at birdtable in garden this morning along with usual visitors.
banks is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 10:41 AM   #22
banks

Hello everyone and apologies for the delay in up-date (due to holidays and recent job change).

The breeding season is in full swing. Three pairs of Blackbirds have each successfully reared broods (the pair that nested in ivy against wall went on to raise a second brood using the same nest – has anyone had similar experience of Blackbirds using same nest to raise send brood?). House Sparrows used woodland nestbox to raise a brood whilst the Blue Tits that built nest and laid eggs in nestbox on summer house were forced out after wasps took over. Upon dealing with wasps (and removing nest) a second pair of House Sparrows quickly moved in and are now sitting on eggs. Blue Tits have successfully nested in woodland nest box and in barn at the end on the drive. Likewise, two pairs of Swallows have nested in barn – at time of writing first chicks are about to fledge.

Twice Blue Tits have tried to nest in nestbox outside study window. For some unknown reason the nest was abandoned on both occasions. No signs of Great Tits nesting despite the large number of birds using the feeding stations in early spring. Nuthatches have nested locally – I only know as a young bird flew into greenhouse window and required some TLC before being released again!

No sign of Spotted or Pied Flycatchers even though the latter already nest in large numbers in woodland nature reserve only a short distance away – fingered crossed for next year.
Old 10th August 2008, 04:30 PM   #23
banks

First of all, my apologies for lack of up-dates since mid-June 2008. The nesting season is just about over now and the gardens have been full of activity. We now have up to five (5) Great-spotted Woodpeckers visiting both feeding stations on a daily basis. The adults are very caution as ever but the young can be very approachable. Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch are still about together Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Gold Finch, Robin, Dunnock, Tree Sparrow, Wren and very large numbers of House Sparrow. Swallows raised several broods in adjoining barn whilst a pair of Pied wagtails found a suitable nest site under the barn tiles roof.

Being our first year at this location, we have monitored nesting activity very closely. This has resulted in ordering additional open-front nest boxes (a real bargain at only Ł4.99 from CJ’s). We are considering the idea of purchasing additional hole-front nest boxes for surrounding area (subject to landlords permission).

Roe Deer, Fox (with cubs) and Badger have been sighted on several occasions, particularly along the approach road.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:14 AM   #24
ScopsOwl

Hi Banks

I have just read your thread and I am in awe at all the species that you have managed to associate yourself with since your move. I see you have chosen the extra large feeders. I am sure that you have noticed the bird food bills have shot up, but it is so worth it for the enjoyment of watching all the bird antics. It is so addictive.

We have moved from the countryside into a more built up area, and we have noticed the changes with the species. We miss some of the regulars we had. The Coal Tits and the Siskins are 2 of my favourites and they where around in great numbers while living in my cottage in Aberdeenshire. We also miss the family of GS woodpeckers that we had too

As we are rental that gives us more free range to what we see if we need to move once more. Each move brings more bird delights for us to see.

I saw a Green Woodpecker for the first time since moving from Scotland to England. I have also been lucky to see a Tree Creeper, but I did not have my camera on me at the time. He was so close to me too.

I would love to hear more about your birds, and will watch this thread with interest.

Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 03:06 PM   #25
banks

Hi Kathy and thanks for your comments.

Yes, our monthly bird food bill has more than doubled but, as you well say, it is worth it. I really can't begin to describe the pleasure of having so many species around the house and gardens. We are lucky to have a typical cottage garden with lawned area and established flower borders (which gets a bit overgrown during the summer season) along with adjoining veg patch and side gardens (mainly scrubs and herbs). On the other side of the lane we have a mature wooded area (mainly beech and yew) that is surrounded by hedge of hawthorn and elder.

The house dates way back to the mid 1600s and I recently discovered the foundations of Hadrian's Wall lies directly under our kitchen and staircase. The real credit must go to those who have lived in the property before us for designing such a wildlife haven and, in more recent times, maintaining it for all it is worth.

Location-wise, we're surrounded by farmland (mainly grazing pasture, trees, hedgerows and wetland pools) on one side and the lowland moor on the other. I guess the different habitats has something to do with the number of species records. We are now looking forward to late autumn and the flocks of wintering finches that will no doubt find the beech masts a welcoming treat.
Old 29th September 2008, 09:31 PM   #26
banks

SEPTEMBER LIST

Species seen in gardens during the month:

House Sparrow
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Marsh Tit
Long-Tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Robin
Great-Spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Mistle Thrush
Pheasant
Sparrowhawk
Tawny Owl (calling in wooded area in late evening)

Additional species seen in the surrounding area include Mallard, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Rook, Magpie, Buzzard (six seen over valley mid September), Jay, Kestrel, Starling, Wood Pigeon and Collared Dove. The last Swallows were recorded on 15th and we now look forward to the arrival of winter visitors.
Old 12th October 2008, 04:30 PM   #27
banks

Winter has arrived early ...

Recorded our first Brambling mid afternoon today. Adult male in semi-winter plumage at garden feeding station along with flock of House Sparrows and finches. Has anyone else recorded such early winter arrivals?
Old 17th October 2008, 08:37 PM   #28
tui-nz

well i think you have certainly found your piece of heaven to have that many different species of birds in such a short while must be great will look forward to seeing some photos, that is if you have time in between unpacking and settling in, good luck.
tui-nz is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 09:46 AM   #29
banks

OCTOBER / NOVEMBER 2008 LIST

Species seen in gardens as follows:

House Sparrow
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Marsh Tit (1)
Long-Tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Brambling (mid October – not seen again)
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Robin
Great-Spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail (2)
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Rook
Starling

Species in local vicinity:

Tawny Owl (calling in wooded area in late evening and spotted on road from valley)
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Buzzard
Fieldfare (300+ overhead 16/11/2008 flying west)
Redwing

We have made some changes with feeding stations around the gardens in recent weeks. The main table and feeders (peanut and seed) are now located outside study window (all are stocked throughout the year). The peanut feeders in the main garden are also constantly stocked but the new smaller table is only going to be stocked in winter months. Likewise, the table in the wooded area is stocked with a cheaper seed mixture for two reasons (a) the roaming finches are not as fussy as regular visitors and (b) this area is frequented by pheasants!

Already large number of Chaffinch (feeding on beech masts) but no sign of Bramlbling since mid October.

Large number of Blue Tits (20+) and Coal Tits (8+ this morning).

Last edited by banks; 30th November 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 30th November 2008, 05:28 PM   #30

Wow, that is another impressive bird list.

I am now turning green with envy, especially the 20+ blue tits and 8+ coal tits.

They must be costing you an arm and a leg
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote