Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 19th April 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
nickieuk

Question window feeder

Hi guys, im new to bird feeding and recently bought a window feeder as i dont have a garden. I was just wondering if there was any way i could attract the birds to it, do they smell out the food? I was also a bit worried in case they accidently flew into the window by mistake and hurt themselves, has anyone got any tips on how to avoid this?

Thanks,
nickieuk is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Shamal

Hi Nic,
Birds are mainly visual as far as food goes, but don't worry as I'm sure they will spot your offerings in due course. I would suspect Blue Tits will be your first customers as they hunt on buildings for spiders and insects.

Birds tend to fly into windows when in a panic, I wouldn't worry to much about this for the time being. The chances are that this will not happen because you have put food on the window. Net curtains, if you can bear them would remove the likelyhood of any collisions.

I've used the tray type window feeders and the tube seed feeder with the suckers on, both are great but keep a regular eye on them to make sure the seed is dry and not going mouldy in the tray type as rain will drive into it.
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
nickieuk

thank you very much for your help shamal
i'll be on the look out for blue tits
Old 19th April 2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Bebe

Default window feeders

Hi Nicki
I have a window feeder with mixed seed in it which is used by blue tits, chaffinches & green finches. It wasn't used for a long time until it was removed for window cleaning. I washed it & put fresh seed in. The birds were using it within the hour! So fresh food is obviously very important.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Emma

Nicki, I also have a feeder on the window. It's a regular mesh peanut feeder hanging from a plastic hook with a sucker on. Our first visitors to it were blue tits - it took ten days for this first visit, if I remember correctly.

It is now regularly used by blue tits, coal tits, greenfinches, goldfinches and siskins.

Good luck with yours!
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2006, 09:44 PM   #6
nickieuk

ah okay cool, i've filled it with fresh seeds and i've had it up for a few days so far no-ones come, but hopefully they will soon! i'll keep you posted
Old 20th April 2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Shamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickieuk
ah okay cool, i've filled it with fresh seeds and i've had it up for a few days so far no-ones come, but hopefully they will soon! i'll keep you posted
Good luck hopefully you will be seeing somehing like this soon
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 01:40 PM   #8
nickieuk

aw he's cute,
still noones come to my feeder yet tho, im thinking maybe i shall move it to a different place as maybe the birds dont feel safe to visit at the moment. there is a friendly blackbird however who likes to sit and ruffle his feathers on a tree near my window,
Old 24th February 2009, 07:00 PM   #9
ScopsOwl

Smile

Hi there

Instead of opening a new thread though I would add my own information about 'Window Feeders' to this thread.

We just bought a new one one today from 'Homebase' (RSPB) and have stuck it on our Patio windows. It has a wooden roof, so that should keep the seeds dry.
I have added some tasty treats as well, as seeds. So we will see what happens over the coming weeks with this feeder and what birds inhabit it.

It may give us an opportunity to get some really nice pictures, with our digital camera for the moment. So we will see what happens next.

PS Shamal looks good from here, and I love your little Blue Tit.

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 24th February 2009 at 07:08 PM.
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Bebe

Default window feeders & doves

Does anyone know how to keep doves out of my window feeder? They manage to get in there even though it's only marginally bigger than they are! Trouble is they eat all the food, knock the feeder off the window and now they've broken it again. Help!
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote