Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Bird Lists

Members Bird Lists Start a thread on your garden, county or any other Bird species list & keep it updated with the latest additions.

Old 29th April 2007, 07:40 PM   #1

Default A first for me.

This afternoon in Bristol, I saw a group of 5 swifts flying around high above the rooftops. They were there for over an hour. I have never seen swifts in this area during April before. I know there is only 36 hours until the end of the month, but a record is a record.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Margaret

So far I've seen two Swallows and a few Housemartins, but this morning I saw a Kingfisher, the first I've seen for years, I was walking by some fishing lakes and it flew across one of the lakes, unfortunately too far away to see much other than a lovely iridescent blue flash as it flew across.

I'm still waiting to hear the cuckoo and a skylark, two birds that I haven't heard for years even though I live in the country and walk my dog around fields every day.
Margaret is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
paul garrod

Are thrushes a little light on the ground this year?
paul garrod is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 02:15 PM   #4
forestrilly

Question Turtle Dove

I saw a turtle dove for the first time this week. I have lived in the Forest of Dean for ten years and although there have been many different birds, never I have seen one here. Is this unusual for 'the forest' does anyone know.
forestrilly is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 07:27 AM   #5
bird lady

around where I live we have half a dozen white doves fly over our house a few times a day no one knows where they come from.
bird lady is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 02:15 PM   #6
forestrilly

Default White Doves

There is a small flock of about half a dozen or so white doves which can usually be found around the high street in the Bream area of FOD. They appear to be resident. I wonder if these could be the same ones? I have never seen any anywhere else.
forestrilly is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Jandy

I've been wondering what's been happening with the swifts this year. we always have swifts every year, regular as clockwork, and I love the way they swoop after insects, sometimes nearly at ear level, & their excited screams. But this year, after their first appearance about a month ago, they weren't seen for days, & I have only seen them on one day since, in spite of what I would think would be ideal conditions for them (warm & humid). Has anyone else noticed a scarcity of swifts, or got any theories?
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:31 PM   #8

No, I haven't seen many swifts either.

Occasionally a couple can be seen in the distance flying around but gone are the large groups of 20 years ago. I noticed there were very few last summer during that really wet June and July. I wonder if in certain places the population plummeted in 2007 and low numbers this year are due to that.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:50 AM   #9
PiratesAhoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70007 View Post
I noticed there were very few last summer during that really wet June and July. I wonder if in certain places the population plummeted in 2007 and low numbers this year are due to that.
There were many many swifts, swallows and housemartins in the rescue centres last year - the wet weather made a lot of their nests collapse and fall off the buildings they were attached to.

I would imagine you're right about this year's numbers - affected by last year's nest failures.
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:52 PM   #10

I know also that there has been a vast decline in airborne insect numbers. Part of earning my pocket money in the 1960s was to wash my dad's car. He drove 30 miles per day to work, round trip, which would be 150 a week.

In the summer, by Friday evening the front of his car would be almost black with insects on the headlamps, radiator grille, etc. I had to scrub for what seemed like ages to clean them off.

Now I have to drive 200 miles each way to visit him and if I get half a dozen on each headlamp from that journey I am quite surprised.