Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 22nd May 2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Jenny

Default CJ's plants

Ordered some plants a few weeks ago and really impressed with delivery - to a Scottish island and they are doing well -thank you very much CJ's.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:27 PM   #2
ScopsOwl

Smile

Sounding good Jenny and to have you as a long standing CJW member shows that you are keen on your plants

OH, and I are very keen to buy some CJW plants for our garden area to attract wildlife, butterfly and various insects as OH and I have done from all those years ago

Look forward to hearing more from you

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Jenny

BT has been up to its usual tricks and we either have no email access or no usable broadband speeds.

Kathy, all the plants I bought are doing well, despite the efforts of Bambi (AKA Hamish) the red deer stag who alternates between sleeping and eating in my jungle and a lady's garden (very neat and controlled) just along the way. However the large darling has now demolished all my hostas, strawberries plants (bought and wild); my wild raspberries, the contents of numerous containers, two rowan saplings and an oak sapling - he is not in my good books. Oh and my leeks and carrots have been dug up! Thankfully, though, he hasn't eaten the two different orchids (to be identified - one like a northern marsh but a month earlier and one white one) that materialised though he's lain on two Northern Marsh Orchids which I'm not too pleased about!

My garden isn't really a garden. The house is built on former croft land which is very acidic - the lava flow is about two foot below soil level and is north east facing mainly with two 1in3 steep slopes. These are covered in greater and lesser celandines primroses, cowslips and later bluebells followed by a variety of other wild flowers right through to late July when I then get one of the slopes cut - the other is under trees and doesn't need maintenance. In other words it's a jungle with docks and foxgloves 3 foot high at the moment and buzzing with insects.

You would not, I'm afraid, get away with this in Bedford! I'm still waiting for someone to complain about my jungle and admit it needs dealing with but with my Mum's ill health - she's coming up to 93 with the blood pressure of a 22 year old but has various 24/7 care needs - all I'd say is plan your patch and keep an eye on it, even wildlife gardens need some control!!

I forgot to say that Bambi/Hamish has turned my pond into a wallow and wrecked it. The downside of encouraging wildlife? :-)
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:54 PM   #4
ScopsOwl

Smile

We have had the annoying BT issue too like yourself. They have changed their set up and it is awful to use now - I hate it.

Thank you for your interesting reply Jenny about your plants and where you stay in Scotland

Where you stay sounds heaven, and a bird watchers paradise. I am afreaid to say that I have the well organised garden so we cannot let it get too wild and woolley.

A Red Deer stag - wow I never never get bored with seeing one of those in my garden. He sounds a bit of a home wrecker though
The problem we have is other peoples cats doing their business in our garden and that annoys me.

OH and got our plants from CJW about two months ago, including some herbs and they are doing well. I bought my first sunflower plants ever only last weekend from the local garden centre too. We are enjoying that fact we have more colour, and butterfly friendly plants in our garden area.

Speak again soon. I will post some photos soon.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote