Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Photos

Members Photos Please upload your photos for others to see. They can be of birds, your garden, your feeders or anything related to nature

Old 16th January 2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Jandy

Default The Green Party!

I spotted this acrobatic Ring-necked Parakeet visiting the garden early in December. I left the photos on the camera so long I had almost forgotten about them!

Bt the way, it seems a long time since anyone else contacted the Forum. Where is everyone?

Perhaps with the advent of the Big Garden Birdwatch (25/26 Jan) we will get more posts. (It wouldn't be that the new format has put people off? Never!) I have got my RSPB form all ready for the off, though I must say I preferred the form from last year, which had 24 little tick boxes per species, so that if you say two blue tits together you ticked two boxes, and then if you saw another 5 together you ticked a further three, so at the end of the hour your best score was the no of filled in boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1126.jpg (210.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1130.jpg (124.3 KB, 13 views)
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 07:25 PM   #2
ScopsOwl

Love your Green Ring necked Parakeets

Are they in your garden area, or another garden?

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:49 PM   #3
chilternbirder

Great photos. I didn't know that they had spread to your side of London.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Jandy

Yes, Kathy, it is our back garden. We get quite a lot of them now, in the park mainly, or flying overhead. I saw four the other day, perched in a tree in the next road. You can never mistake the noise they make! However, it is only rarely that I have spotted them in the garden. This one was by itself, though I have seen a pair before now. They usually go for the fat balls or the sunflower hearts.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:27 PM   #5
ScopsOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
Yes, Kathy, it is our back garden. We get quite a lot of them now, in the park mainly, or flying overhead. I saw four the other day, perched in a tree in the next road. You can never mistake the noise they make! However, it is only rarely that I have spotted them in the garden. This one was by itself, though I have seen a pair before now. They usually go for the fat balls or the sunflower hearts.
Hi Jandy

Great to hear from you Jandy. Hope all is well with yourself

My OH hears Green Ring necked Parakeets in some of the London parks and they are very noisy indeed.

I can see them being part of the UK culture, with our bird feeders in the future.

Not good to be honest as they are not UK bred wildlife, imposters comes to mind... but we will see.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 15th February 2014 at 11:16 PM.
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Jandy

I know they are not "naturalized citizens" exactly, and their noise and depredations in orchards etc can make them unpopular, but I rather like having them around, adding an extra touch of colour and excitement in fairly humdrum surroundings. I also admire them for thriving in whatever our weather can throw at them! They so seldom come to our garden that they make little difference for our usual birds.
Old 4th March 2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Gandalf

Default post

I've heard that there is a small colony in my neck of the woods too Jandy. Nice take on these in your garden.
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote