Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Suggestions

Members Suggestions use this forum to give us feedback and ideas and suggestions for improving our services

Old 12th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Jenny

Default Bird feeder problem - ideas please!

Decided to get a couple of extra hanging plastic seed feeders out as Jan and Feb are our worst months and wanted to clean them. Uh Huh! Cannot get the bottom out as the perch pole is stuck. Both son and I tried and they won't shift. I'm afraid of breaking the plastic.

Any suggestions?

Generally, CJs - do you do galvanized perches - it seems that all the perch pegs are reacting with the salt in the air.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Peggo

Hi Jenny. Maybe try some lubricant, olive oil, or WD40, and a pair of pliers. If they're screwed in try twisting them anti clockwise and just hope that the thread gives before the plastic does. If you do manage to save them make sure that you unscrew them on a regular basis to stop them getting siezed up again.

What make and type of feeder is it?
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggo View Post
Hi Jenny. Maybe try some lubricant, olive oil, or WD40, and a pair of pliers. If they're screwed in try twisting them anti clockwise and just hope that the thread gives before the plastic does. If you do manage to save them make sure that you unscrew them on a regular basis to stop them getting siezed up again.

What make and type of feeder is it?
Hi Peggo. They're ones I've got from CJs - plastic seed feeders with six perches - the old fashioned perch style and the metal perches just push through not screwed. I tried olive oil - will try the WD40!! I had cleaned them before putting them away but re-assembled them before storing - hanging from shed roof - mistake!
Old 19th January 2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Jandy

Apologies to CJ in advance, but I no longer get CJ seed feeders, as the problems involved in reassembling them (inserting those fiddly little bolts/nuts) would make a saint curse! I did obtain a few of the Easy-clean type from the RSPB, but they have now changed theirs to screw-in perches, so my last lot I got from livingwithbirds.com, which have a rod down the middle and no screws at all. Result - assembly and disassembly in less than 2 minutes! Am eagerly awaiting the day CJ follows suit!
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
Apologies to CJ in advance, but I no longer get CJ seed feeders, as the problems involved in reassembling them (inserting those fiddly little bolts/nuts) would make a saint curse! I did obtain a few of the Easy-clean type from the RSPB, but they have now changed theirs to screw-in perches, so my last lot I got from livingwithbirds.com, which have a rod down the middle and no screws at all. Result - assembly and disassembly in less than 2 minutes! Am eagerly awaiting the day CJ follows suit!
Jandy, I will have a look at these - and I'm also apologizing to CJs but TBH the salt air just seems to wreck the metal be it push throughs or screws.

WD40 didn't work either, I'm afraid, so will look at your suggestion. If a galvanized version was available I'd pay a bit more - there must be other people who live in seaside environments who suffer the same problem.