Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 1st April 2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Margaret

Default A surprise visitor

Our neighbours security light often gets triggered in the middle of the night, sometimes I am lucky and am able to observe a hedgehog rummaging around in the gardens, one time it was a rat wandering down the road as if it owned the place, sometimes it is a nocturnal cat (why do people leave their cats out all night?!) but mostly I've missed whatever it is. However at 3.30 this morning I spotted a bigger shadow than usual and there was a fox walking across our drive and under our sitting room window (no wonder our dogs sometimes bark for what seems like no reason), it then hopped over the wall trotted across next doors lawn, under the front of their car and proceeded down the pavement towards the other end of the cul-de-sac.

Common sense tells me that as we live near open fields we are bound to see foxes but I can't remember the last time I have actually seen a live one, certainly not amongst the houses.

So my sleepless nights aren't always wasted.

Margaret.
Margaret is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
Our neighbours security light often gets triggered in the middle of the night, sometimes I am lucky and am able to observe a hedgehog rummaging around in the gardens, one time it was a rat wandering down the road as if it owned the place, sometimes it is a nocturnal cat (why do people leave their cats out all night?!) but mostly I've missed whatever it is. However at 3.30 this morning I spotted a bigger shadow than usual and there was a fox walking across our drive and under our sitting room window (no wonder our dogs sometimes bark for what seems like no reason), it then hopped over the wall trotted across next doors lawn, under the front of their car and proceeded down the pavement towards the other end of the cul-de-sac.

Common sense tells me that as we live near open fields we are bound to see foxes but I can't remember the last time I have actually seen a live one, certainly not amongst the houses.

So my sleepless nights aren't always wasted.

Margaret.
Hi Margaret

Sounds an interesting selection of noctornal creatures that you have on the go in your garden at the moment.

We are like you, and have security sensors at the front and back of our house, and any movment sets them off.

Maybe a CCTV camera would provide you with more answers as to what you are seeing on a regular basis.

Only today, OH noticed some Hedgehog poo on our lawn at the back of the house, so it was a give away although we have yet to see any hedgehogs - we live in hope

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Margaret

Hi Kathy,

My nocturnal visitors got even more interesting last night when at 2.00 a.m the lights were triggered by a badger, I've never seen a live one before, it didn't stay long just wandered along the road and across a few more gardens before disappearing around the corner.

About 15 mins later a hedgehog set the light off, he just seemed to go as far as next door, perhaps he has a hidey-hole there.

Margaret.
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Rowena

we were very lucky to catch sight of a fox in broad daylight here at CJs!! the other afternoon a few of us gathered at the kitchen window to watch a fox standing dead still in the middle of the nearby field . . . it soon trotted off but it was a splendid sight!
Rowena is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Margaret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
we were very lucky to catch sight of a fox in broad daylight here at CJs!! the other afternoon a few of us gathered at the kitchen window to watch a fox standing dead still in the middle of the nearby field . . . it soon trotted off but it was a splendid sight!
That was a lucky sighting, I wonder if it is feeding young somewhere.

Margaret
Old 5th April 2012, 11:52 AM   #6
chilternbirder

Quote:
we were very lucky to catch sight of a fox in broad daylight here at CJs!!
One thing about having moved to the country is that I now see very few foxes. I usually see them in a friend's garden in London E17.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 02:28 PM   #7

I took this photo with a zoom lens from inside our living room a few years ago. We do not get too many foxes around here during the daylight, but this one seemed very brave - maybe it was just hungry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 DEC_6.jpg (236.2 KB, 13 views)
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Margaret

It looks in very good condition, I haven't seen any of our nocturnal visitors since that one sighting, perhaps they decided that we didn't have anything to offer in the way of food.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Jandy

If you take a look at my thread back in June last year, http://www.cjwildlifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=2043, you'll see what I saw in our back garden at breakfast time, two foxes full of the joys of life. This is not the only time I've seen foxes in broad daylight.

Last edited by Jandy; 31st July 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote