Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 11th October 2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Pine Marten

Hi mmp, Yes they are lovely creatures. I just love seeing them in the garden. Although for the past few nights have not seen any. Would not have thought they would be hibernating yet, unless they know something we dont. But usually for me here in devon, late november early december seems to be the time they start.

Enjoy the hedgehog in your garden. You never know you may see some of its mates as well.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 02:39 PM   #12
starlily

i don't know what's going on around here, but last week i saw a medium sized hog in the garden during the day, by the time i got outside it was gone. next day my next door neighbour found a tiny one in her garden, and it seemed to have something wrong with a back leg. the following day she took it to the vet, who kept it in. that was on thursday. i couldn't believe it when i found another small one in my garden on friday. i don't know what was wrong with it, but it was staggering and shaking. it looked in really bad shape, but i couldn't get it to eat at all. i did see a big tick on its back. and it had something yellow coloured stuck down between its spines around its head, with a bit of it covering one eye. got it warmed up and then off to the vet.
i only saw a vet. nurse, who took my number and said the vet would decide what was wrong with it, and if it was feasible i would have to collect it to be released in my garden. neither my neighbour or me have heard any more from the vet, but i don't think it likely that either of the little things would last hibernation as they must have weighed about 100 gms. each, but i don't know if the vet would be prepared to keep them long enough to feed them up. i presume that they must have had lots of injured hogs this year, and have run out of foster homes for them.
i am wondering if something is attacking the hoggies, or if they are part of a litter that has been born too late in the year, or all have something wrong with them. i now have a good look round the garden every day, just in case any more turn up.
starlily is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Missmoneypenny

Hi Pine Marten,,,I really dont know very much about hedgehogs apart from reading some of the sites on here and the advice you very kindly gave. So I hope I am doing the right thing for him. I do hope yours has just gone into hibernation early. Originally between ours and the garden next door there were about five of them. We were all feeding them. But since this one has taken up residence here I have only seen him. Not sure if they are territorial and that is why. But I will do my best to take care of him and any of the others that come round.
Missmoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Missmoneypenny

Hi starlily,,, I have only just started learing about hedgehogs but I did read on one of the sites that foxes have been killing and maiming hedgehogs. Not sure if that is what has happened in your garden. Poor things,,,there arent many of them around as it is.
Missmoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 06:32 PM   #15
Penna

I have often been told that you would never get Hedgehogs in your garden if you have visiting Badgers, I have had both on many occasions and on some evenings Foxes joined them.
I find the vets in question not finding time to get back with some news a tad frustrating, it would have been nice to know what happened to your Hedgehogs.

Badger with Foxy............ click this for..http://flic.kr/p/avecwP Badger & Hedgehog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (258.0 KB, 10 views)
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 01:44 PM   #16
Rowena

yes plenty of water for you little friend. Hedgehogs much prefer that as they are lactose intolerant and cant digest milk (which is what some people think to put out for them)
Rowena is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 06:09 PM   #17
ScopsOwl

Smile

I wonder what happened to Starlily's Hedgehog

Hoping that she sees this message

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 10:58 PM   #18
Pips

I think I have a hedgehog in my garden, I have seen small black droppings that resemble a hedgehogs. What else can I look for, except for the obvious hedgehog, to tell if I have them or not?
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Rowena

Hi pips,
had a word with Martin, our wildlife expert here at CJs. he's not aware of any other signs apart from the droppings (or the culprit!). he is however slightly concerned that a hedgehog is our already in February as we still have the possibility of cold weather to come yet this winter. he suggested getting in touch with the British Hedgehog Preservation Society if you want any more info as they are probably the best source of definitive information on hedgehogs. http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/
Rowena is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:33 AM   #20
ljh

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlily View Post
it has no left back leg, just a large stump which is all knobbly.
Hello, realise this is from a while ago but my understanding is that it is better for the leg to be removed back to the hip. The hog then learns to use three legs and not to drag the other one in the dirt. Hedgehogs who have had that done are best kept in a contained garden but they seem to manage fine if that's their only difficulty.

Here's a good example:
Hoggle, the three legged hedgehog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSTg_zglUNo

I think the back leg can be bitten off by such as foxes or badgers who wait for the hog to uncurl then grab its leg as it tries to run off. Nature is not always wonderful, sadly.
ljh is offline     Reply With Quote