Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 30th August 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
starlily

Unhappy hedgehog query

tea time yesterday i found a young hog in my back garden. i know that if they are out in daylight there is usually something wrong. i put down some food, which it ate immediately, and then watched as it walked away. i then realised it looked as if it only had 1 back leg. so i popped it into a box, on a towel, waited till i could get a good look at it, and it has no left back leg, just a large stump which is all knobbly. i still have it in the box, and overnight it had eaten and drunk water. i gave it more food which it has also eaten.
i phoned a lady who looks after hedgehogs, and she advised me to take it to a local vet, but said that the best thing for it would be to have it put to sleep, she explained how difficult it was for a hedgehog to live with a back leg missing, and also said that when they appear during the day they are hypothermic, and looking to warm up in the sun, so i was told to pop a wrapped container of hot water under the towel. last time i peeped at hoggie he was fast asleep.
my son wants me to let it go, as it seems to be quite strong, but after what i was told i don't know what to do for the best.
can anyone give me some advice please?
starlily is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Penna

Sadly at these times I always feel we should take the advice from those in the know, I completely understand your sons view but Hedgehogs when fully fit have a very difficult time, with only three legs I think releasing it will only give the poor thing little or no chance of survival, It may well meet a fate a lot worse than being put to sleep humanly.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Pine Marten

Sorry to hear about the hedgehog starlily. Not an easy choice for you to make. Is there not an animal sanctuary in your area that would take it in.
Of course it would mean that it wont be living in the wild, but it will be cared for until its demise. Maybe something worth looking into.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
starlily

thank you both for your replies.
i took the hedgehog to a vet, and he looked at it and said he thought the hog had been born without a back leg, but it was not looking very good, as the stump was trailing on the ground as the hoggie was walking, and this would ultimately become infected. that, plus the fact that the hoggie was out during the day and would be hypothermic meant that it shouldn't just be left to manage on its own. however, he would keep it overnight to see how it did, as i told him it was eating very well, and had drunk quite a lot of water, and it he thought it was worth it, it would go to one of his helpers, all of whom have secure gardens, and other hogs, where it could be looked after, and more help given at all times. he couldn't say whether or not there would be a good outcome, and asked if i would like to be phoned to let me know what was happening, but i said no, i would rather not know, especially as my son lives here, and he might get the message.
the vet was very good, thanked me and said i had done all the right things for the hoggie. although i feel sad and worried about the little thing, i know that i did my best for it, and it won't be wandering around it pain.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Pine Marten

Hi Starlily. Many thanks for coming back, i did wonder about the outcome. You have done all the right things as the vet said. One can only do ones best in that sort of situation. Thankfully i have not been there and hope i never will.
It will be ok with the lady if thats the final outcome, and would be well looked after.

Many thanks to you.

Pine Marten.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
Hi Starlily. Many thanks for coming back, i did wonder about the outcome. You have done all the right things as the vet said. One can only do ones best in that sort of situation. Thankfully i have not been there and hope i never will.
It will be ok with the lady if thats the final outcome, and would be well looked after.

Many thanks to you.

Pine Marten.
Yep, nicely put and I agree ...
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:15 AM   #7
starlily

thanks for your kind comments.
i can't stop thinking about hoggie just now, hoping that he will be ok.
Old 10th October 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Missmoneypenny

Hi everyone,,I am new to this forum,and was wondering if anyone can help. I have been feeding a little hedgehog (who's name is Harold) for about 3 months now. My husband made a box and put it in a quiet place in the garden and fantastically he has taken up residence. I have put a couple of small piles of dry leaves nearby and they have disappeared. I assume they are in the box. Is it likely now that he will decide to hibernate there???
Missmoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Pine Marten

Hi, welcome to the forum MM. I would say there is a very good chance the hedgehog will hibernate there. This is the time of year that they will be seeking out places. Plus the fact will need to put on weight. Experts say they need to be around 600gr as a safe weight. But 500gr + is not bad. Below that and they could be in trouble if it gets exceptionaly cold.
Just a little advice they dont take to being disturbed to much and usually vote with their feet. Leave out food nightly for it and will be a very welcome friend in the garden. Oh and they drink a lot of water. So need a supply of that as well.

Good luck.

Pine Marten.

Last edited by Pine Marten; 10th October 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: missed something out.
Old 11th October 2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Missmoneypenny

Thanks for your reply Pine Marten,,,I will continue with the food and water until he decides not to eat any more. We had intended to cover the box with logs but he moved in before we had the chance. We thought not to touch it now as he may move out and not have chance to find somewhere else. They are remarkable little creatures arent they.
Missmoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote