Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 2nd August 2010, 02:54 PM   #11

Yes, Gatekeepers are quite common at this time of year.

All butterflies prefer dry and warm weather so this year is much better for them than the cool wet weather we had in 2007 and 2008.

I dont want to worry you, but if large whites are taking more than a passing interest in any garden plants without flowers, they are probably laying eggs on them, so look out for holes in the leaves and lots of caterpillars in a week or two.

However, I didnt think grapevines would be a suitable food plant - cabbages, cauliflowers and nasturtiums being the usual ones.

John
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:02 PM   #12
jeff

Thanks for the tip about them laying egs, I will keep my eye open.

I've just spent a small fortune on fruit trees and I've planted them in my garden, The butterfly (white) took more interest in the strawberry plants and unless they lay their eggs pretty quickly? I don't think they have bothered the vines.
jeff is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:27 PM   #13

Good luck with your fruit trees Jeff.

I have some dwarf ones that I bought about 5 years ago. I have more apples on the two trees this year than I have ever had (about 20 ) but the pear still has not yet flowered after 5 years, so no pears.

The plum flowered early last year then promptly died so I have had to replace it with another one and the cherry is a more recent addition so has not yet done a great deal.....

but I live in hope.

John
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:39 PM   #14
jeff

Looks like I'm going to have problems with the tree's then John because I bought the same ones it does say you will get more fruit if you have them in pairs.

I'm off away to my daughters for a few days tomorrow, so when I get back, I think I'll go and buy a few more to make them in pairs to increase their chances of fruiting.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:38 PM   #15

I know that some traditional fruit trees need other varieties as pollinators, but many of the ones that I have are said to be self pollinating, and there is a decent orchard near me, so I am hoping the bees can get between there and my garden to do the necessary business.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:02 PM   #16
jeff

They sound the same type of tree's that I Just bought because it said on the labels that they were self pollinators and with a couple of bees nests in the garden, if I buy a few more then hopefully next year they can get busy and get me some fruit going lol.

I've also Just put some raspberry and blackberry bushes in and also a kiwi, so even if we don't pick any at least the birds will have a field day.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:25 PM   #17
Nature__Lover

I have quite a big blackberry bush in my garden, and the berries have now all turned ripe.
Anyone know why the birds and butterflies ignore them completely?
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 09:14 PM   #18
Jandy

I have a feeling that pigeons might just be keen on ripe blackberries. I have noticed that round about this time of year they seem to produce blackberry-coloured poo!
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Nature__Lover

jeff,
I think quite a few caterpillar species feed on grape vines. Butterflies do seem to like them, not sure why though. Maybe they drink the juice from the grapes? as they will sometimes drink from fallen oranges and apples.

found this on a website:
You can attract a number of butterflies with fruit (such as rotten apples and peaches, cantaloupe seeds and rinds, and watermelon rinds). I place them on a hanging butterfly feeder, a tree branch, and a tree stump. The more fruit the better. I've found that butterflies are especially attracted to apples that are not from a grocery store. Of course, this fruit also attracts wasps, ants, and other insects so be careful.
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:27 PM   #20
Jandy

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Cornwall, and although not having must time to get out and about, I was very pleased to see how many butterflies they have down there. The buddleia bush outside the window was visited every day by loads of Red Admirals and Tortoiseshells, not many varieties I know, but more, and more in number, than we have had in our garden this summer, which has not been a patch on last year's.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote