Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 19th May 2007, 04:04 PM   #21
Jack

Default It's CJ all the way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
....What do other people feed their hedgehogs?
Loopy,

I feed the Hedgehog food (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_de...=28&prd_id=134) available from CJ. I've never had any complaints(!) and it usually takes about three days (nights) for then to go through a bowl full - also from CJ (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_de...=28&prd_id=131). You should always put out water as well.

Jack
Jack is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 09:57 AM   #22
PiratesAhoy!

Our hogs love the garden at the moment. They eat the dropped seed, plenty of slugs, and also things like the suet cake that I leave out for the pirates (starlings).

I also supplement them occasionally with chicken flavoured cat food, although in recent nights I suspect a non-spiky 'hedgehog' has been eating the cat food - I think it was black and white.

I go out onto the patio just about every night at 10pm to have a look, and there's always at least one hog looking guilty in the torchlight. Generally they'll have stopped what they're doing, for example eating suet or a slug

Jack makes a good point too - I always have plenty of water out - for the birds, and for the hogs, but make sure if they fall in, they have a means of getting out again - put a couple of bricks in your pond for example if it's deep enough for them to drown. They can swim, but not for too long.

As I type this, my fingers are being pecked by a magpie, so I must go!
PiratesAhoy! is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 04:42 PM   #23
Loopy

Thanks everyone We have a cat problem in our garden - about 4 different ones. I don't own a cat and don't particularly like them much. I always greet them with a cup of water but they don't get the hint! I try and put food out that hogs will like and cats won't. Not sure about the sultanas but surely dried mealworms have got to be a no-no.

Always put out plenty of water, Jack. There's 4 bird baths (two on 2 feet tall tables and two on the ground) and a bowl of water next to the hog food. The pond is a bit of a worry but there is one shallow side. We need to clear it out in the autumn and put some proper slopey sides in it.

And Mr Pirates, I never want to catch a hog in the middle of eating a slug! They are slimey and horrible. I trod one in on the bottom of my shoe the other day and my boyfriend had to remove it whilst I was shouting "I'm gonna heave!" I'm fine with worms and any insect (even got over my fear of beetles) but not the slugs.
Loopy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:28 AM   #24
Lois

Always put out CJs in lovely hedghog dish but not sure if hogs eat it as quite oten early morning on the following day it is being emptied by starlings or blackbirds or magpies so can't really tell how much our hog got.
Lois is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:06 PM   #25
Jenny

Same problem here, Lois, especially approaching midsummer - we're into that time here when (except when it's pouring down) it doesn't get dark. I have to time putting out food carefully - it mustn't go out before 10.15pm at the moment as one or two birds, especially robin and blackbirds, have caught on!

I got caught out this evening though - dog was alerting me and went out to find two hogs looking for food - the larger one didn't bother rolling up but headed straight for me and dog as I put food down. Dog is not happy (think he got his nose pricked!)!

Has anyone tried out CJ's new hog food? I've just bought some and will try it out tomorrow night as have just about finished the previous (old style) lot.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 09:09 AM   #26
Lois

Hi Jenny. I am trying the new food as old food ran out. I think the birds like it a lot as it seems to have lots of sunflower seeds in. Not got the large bits of creepy crawly in as old food and not as moist. I have not seen a hog eat it yet but dish is always empty in the morning at 6 when I look. I can usually tell if we had a visit because we normally get a calling card!
Lois is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Jenny

Thanks, Lois.

Will let you know how I get on. Hog has changed his/her route so will try some of the new stuff by the back step and the remnants of the old stuff in the usual spot.

Jenny
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:51 PM   #28
sallyh

Got 2 hedgehogs coming in a few days for feeding them up to the desired release weight of 800gms. They are both approx 400gms at present so I should have them for a while. I'm getting very excited as I love having 2 at a time as they are company for each other.

I usually feed them Spike food, mainly the dried format but I will get in a few trays of their meat to get them growing well. I've also used the feed that CJ supply & it has always gone done well.
sallyh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 05:52 PM   #29
sallyh

The hedgehogs have arrived two ever so sweet little girls. They are gorgeous
sallyh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 12:37 PM   #30
Saz

Glad the little girls arrived safe and sound Sal
Saz is offline     Reply With Quote