Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 8th April 2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Kerry L

Hi, I enjoyed the rescue stories, and nice to hear happy endings for some. I would love to do something like that (I would love to look after owls), although He-man probably wouldn't like the extra visitors. My daughter is also keen on helping wildlife too.
Last night He-man was snoring so badly that I gave up and went to sleep downstairs on the settee . Not being able to settle myself too well, at half past 2, I wandered into the kitchen for some water and spotted a large hoggie wandering around the bottom of the garden - well lit up by the streetlamp. Today I found that he/it has left quite a few calling cards last night, so it appears that my locals are up and about now. There are plenty of slugs in the garden eat, so I was pleased to see it - even though my eyes were out on stalks at the time !
Regards, Kerry
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Jenny

Glad your hogs are back, Kelly! It's been too cold at night for last ten days for them to be out but tonight it's milder and my dog's been going ballistic the last half hour and I've been watching a face off between two of three hogs! Suspect it's two males strutting their stuff in front of the female who's sensibly stocking up on the food! It's good to know they're still about.

Our soil's pretty lousy, so grow a lot of stuff in tubs; I've found temporarily re-locating them is a great source of food for hogs (and birds) with all the beetles and slugs and worms that are just under them. Moving the tubs every couple of days or so is proving a cheap (but strenuous!) way of supplementing diets!

PS . Lone hog out on patio tonight. Went straight up to her (?) - no curling up as I put extra food out (late back from work) right under her nose. Even with dog going daft! S/he (a condescention to you He-Man in case he reads these posts) is looking really fit so am hopeful for more this year.

Last edited by Jenny; 11th April 2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Update
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 06:07 AM   #13
sallyh

As it has now been raining I released my recovered hedgehog last night. He has been with me now for several months & it is always a time with a mixture of emotions for me, glad he is now well enough to be free but sad that I probably won't see him daily any more. He is such a sweetheart & I hope & pray he has a happy life back in the wild.

Sally
xx
sallyh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Maisie

Sally, I'm sure he'll be fine! We released 2 a few months ago. One had recovered from mange and has a number of spines missing, so is easy to identify. He's been spotted with at least 2 prickly friends all over the garden since, so they've obviously all made themselves at home! I know of hedgies that have been marked with Tipp-ex in the past as part of a release study. Maybe you could try that with future rescues so you can identify them again if they're being released somewhere you'll be able to see them again.
Maisie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 11:43 AM   #15
sallyh

Thanks Maisie. He didn't return to his box after last night so hopefully he is off happily exploring his new found freedom.

Sally
xx
sallyh is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 03:31 PM   #16
dougied

We have recently been visited by two hedgehogs, we originally thought cats may have been coming into the garden and leaving their "calling card", but the other night we heard a snuffling sound and on investigation saw two little hedgehogs sitting on our ground feeder tucking into the robins mix food that we put out. They've been in every night now for a week and I think they may be nesting in our barbeque which we leave out all year with a cover over it. Whenever we have ventured into the garden for a closer look they scamper back to the barbeque,, so it looks, unless they move out, we may have to find alternative cooking arrangements for this summer!!
dougied is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:01 AM   #17
dougied

Had a bit of a drama last night. My wife and I went into the garden, partly to see the hedgehogs, but also on slug watch! We are getting loads at the moment and so we go and pick them off our tender plants and dispose of them. Anyway, while we were out we heard a commotion and found one of the hedgehogs with his head stuck in a jug! Don't ask me how he got it on his head, but I gave it a gentle tug and it came off, no harm done, but he did look funny there for a while. The things you have to do to help wildlife sometimes.
dougied is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 09:26 PM   #18
Jenny

Dougied, interested to hear about your barbeque dilemma - I had a similar issue two years ago but this was a hibernation nest. Owing to it being so windy, my barbeque is located in an inset in the walls under the eaves during the winter and covered, the cover being both pegged down and having large stones on top. The hog had lifted one of the pegs and dragged in dead grass and dry leaves and had made a snug little home that we found in the spring.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Loopy

We have hog visitors. I was a bit late putting the food out the other night and we came face to face as he was heading to his/her dish. Hog ran off I feed them dried mealworms and sultanas. What do other people feed their hedgehogs?
Loopy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 11:56 AM   #20
Kerry L

Our always polished off the remaining bird food - until the rats came, so I stopped leaving out so much. At the moment they are munching the slugs (although I think they have missed too many for my liking!) and any leftover raisins. I found some dried blueberries that had gone past their sell by date, and thought the birds would like them. Not one bird ate the berries, but the hedgehog hoovered them up!
Kerry
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote