Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Suggestions

Members Suggestions use this forum to give us feedback and ideas and suggestions for improving our services

Old 1st October 2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Janet

Lightbulb Copy, Cut and Paste Options

Would it be possible to add copy, cut and paste options to the message writing box? I have found two problems with not having them available.

Firstly, if I am typing a message and wish to re-arrange paragraphs or sentences it should be quick and easy to cut and paste them like one would in Word. Without this option, it is a case of re-typing all of the text in the new position.

Secondly, on several occasions I have typed a long message only to find that when I click 'submit post' I get sent to the sign in screen (even though I already am signed in). Then having signed in again, the message is lost and needs to all be typed again!

If there was a copy option the message could be stored so that it would not be lost.

Last edited by Janet; 1st October 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Janet is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Default Copy, Cut and Paste Options

You can copy and paste text from a word document. Why not write your message in word and when you are happy with it, copy and paste it into the message window on the forum.

The other advantage, as long as you copy and paste the message rather than cut and paste, is that should the message be lost before you have managed to send this you can always go back to your original in word and try again.

Hope this helps.
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Janet

Thanks for reply Lisa. Yes it does help to type in Word then copy. I have just done that with another message and it worked fine apart from the text has come out rather big! I'll have to remember to alter the size next time.

It would still be an improvement to the forum though as most other forums have this option and it does make it quicker and simpler to use.

Regards

Old 2nd October 2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Shamal

Hi Janet,
You can use keyboard short-cuts for copy, cut & paste. Ctrl+X is cut, Ctrl+C is copy & Ctrl+V is paste.
I find it's odd that copy and cut are disabled in the forums.

regards
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Janet

Thanks Shamal, that's great! I didn't know the keyboard could be used to copy and paste, just what I needed. I shall use that all the time now.
Old 9th October 2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Ollie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamal View Post
Hi Janet,
You can use keyboard short-cuts for copy, cut & paste. Ctrl+X is cut, Ctrl+C is copy & Ctrl+V is paste.
I find it's odd that copy and cut are disabled in the forums.

regards
Hi Shamal,

Copy and Paste aren't 'disabled' as such - it's the way the forum software handles text with this fancy editor, your browser doesn't see it as a text box and so the options are not put in the context ('right-click') menu or the edit menu.

The keyboard shortcuts, however, as you suggested, work fine! On a mac, the control key is replaced by the command (apple) key eg command & c.

Ollie
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 08:49 AM   #7
jeff

Its easy to copy and paste by holding down your left mouse button, then drag it across the text you want to highlight, once highlighted then right click your mouse button and in the pop up box you can select copy.

Go to where you want to add the text then right click your mouse and in the pop up box click paste.

Very fast and very easy.
jeff is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Shamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Its easy to copy and paste by holding down your left mouse button, then drag it across the text you want to highlight, once highlighted then right click your mouse button and in the pop up box you can select copy.

Go to where you want to add the text then right click your mouse and in the pop up box click paste.

Very fast and very easy.
I think that is the standard method we (on this thread) use but it didn't work on this forum at the time this thread was started. Normal copy & paste seems to work fine now without resorting to keyboard shortcuts. Although it could've been browser related, I now use firefox.

Regards
Shamal
Shamal is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 11:27 AM   #9
jeff

Ah I see what your saying Shamal

Being an administrator of my own forum, I do know there is the facility to porotect from copying any text or images on the forum and this may have been switched on at the time you posted this.

Glad you got it sorted, I was Just reading through the forum when I noticed it but I never noticed the date.
jeff is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Jandy

I have never had to re-sign in, as I have bookmarked this website, and am taken straight to the Home page. Not only that, but I have just successfully cut and pasted part of this actual post, though whether or not that is because I have an Apple I don't know.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote