Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 19th August 2012, 02:57 PM   #21

I was beginning to fear for Small Tortoishells in the garden this year, because I had hardly seen any since 2011 and even then did not see many, but there seems to have been an 'explosion' in numbers recently.

I have just done a count on my buddleia which is a rather large bush now, and there were 8 Small Tortoishells, 4 Peacocks and a single Red Admiral.

Lets hope the decent weather continues for a few more weeks and they can all mate and lay lots of eggs.

Have not seen a Painted Lady so far this year though.
70007 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 09:38 AM   #22

The Small Tortoishell count has now increased to 10, the Red Admirals have increased to 3, and this morning there is a Painted Lady on the Verbena that I planted near to the Buddleia because of the Verbena's much longer flowering period.

At last, a miserable summer is finally coming good - here anyway.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:49 PM   #23
Jandy

I have spotted a few butterflies out in this glorious weather this week, a Common Blue (I think), a Brimstone, an Orange Tip, and a possible Green-veined White (or Small White, not 100% sure).

By the way, Nature Lover, I was unable to gain access to your Wordpress blog.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 09:19 PM   #24

If you are in an urban area Jandy, your blue might have been a Holly Blue as they are quite common in gardens.

I have seen one Orange Tip here, and the longer this sunny weather keeps up, the more will be appearing. Lets hope that the last few miserable summers have not decimated the butterfly populations
Old 6th May 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Gandalf

Default post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70007 View Post
If you are in an urban area Jandy, your blue might have been a Holly Blue as they are quite common in gardens.

I have seen one Orange Tip here, and the longer this sunny weather keeps up, the more will be appearing. Lets hope that the last few miserable summers have not decimated the butterfly populations
Amen to that 70007.
Gandalf is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 02:45 PM   #26

I remember as a boy in the late 50s going on holiday to Dorset and walking near Lulworth with my parents. It was virtually impossible to put a foot forward without disturbing butterflies, they were everywhere.

I doubt that is possible in the UK these days. The problem is that younger generations have no idea what the past was like, and think I exaggerate.

But, I used to wash my fathers' car, as a way of earning pocket money (1 shilling a week if I was lucky) and, in the summer after a weeks driving to and from work for him, the car's headlamps radiator grille and front bumper were covered in dead insects. His journey was only a 20 mile round trip, so that was after about 100 miles.

Now, I can drive 250 miles each way to relatives in the height of summer and the insect count barely gets into double figures. I know some folk remind me that cars are more aerodynamic now, but not to that extent.

I would say there are about 10% of the flying insects now, that we had 50 years ago.
Old 21st August 2013, 05:47 PM   #27

I have had a memorable garden day, as I was treated to a few minutes appearance by a Silver Washed Fritillary this afternoon. They are very rare visitors to my garden, and I only remember two other ones in the previous 25 years, both in warm dry summers.

I notice that Peacock butterflies are more numerous than Red Admirals this year. I wonder if this is because there was always some debate over whether the Red Admiral could survive a cold winter, and the very cold winds in March and early April may have finished off the few that were still alive, meaning that migration was the only way of getting here in numbers.

The Peacock is far better adapted to a cold winter and spring.
Old 28th September 2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Jandy

I meant to mention earlier, Nature Lover, that I was denied access from viewing your photos. If you upload your pictures the alternative way, they will be free for all to view, as per the threads in 'Members Pics'.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 11:55 AM   #29
markharry

Me too! I came hoping for pictures.

I had a disappointingly small number of butterflies around the garden this year, compared to 2012 at least. I'm hoping for a better turnout next time.
markharry is offline     Reply With Quote