Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Members Suggestions

Members Suggestions use this forum to give us feedback and ideas and suggestions for improving our services

Old 28th May 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
flipflop

Unhappy missing, dead bluetits

hi i have had a nest box for a while, but this year after watching 9 eggs hatch, within a week the chicks have dwindled down to 2 and this morning i found they were dead and the mother was gone. The nest box is high up on the side of the house with a camera so it it doesn't get messed about with anyone have any ideas what has happened?
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Jandy

Did you see anything that would give a clue on the camera (assuming the camera was in the nest-box)?

I wonder also whether your thread would have been better off posted on the Nestbox forum?

Last edited by Jandy; 1st June 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
flipflop

everything i saw on the camera was perfectly normal, chicks were being fed mother was there overnight with them some say there may have been other birds that could have taken them away and was suggested to fit a plate to the opening which i still need to do
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Pine Marten

Sounds like a predator of some kind. But dont have to be another bird. If a rodent could get in that would do the same. Is a shame i know. The metal plate sounds like good advice.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Hi Flipflop

What a terrible shame about your baby birds! I have spoken to one of our experts, Pete Deans, and he says that as it has happened early in the season there is a good chance the parent birds will try again with another brood but are unfortunately most likely going to choose an alternative nesting site where they will feel safer.

Saying that, there is always the possibility that another pair of birds could use your nest box this spring so if you can see that it is now empty it would be worthwhile removing the dead chicks and adding some protection to the box to keep any future broods out of harms way.

Nest Box Plates are recommended if the woodpeckers or other predators appear to be enlarging the entrance hole to reach the young, however if there is no evidence of this happening it could be that something is reaching into the box, in which case a Nest Box Guardian may be more suitable.

Hope this helps and fingers crossed for another brood this season.
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote