Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 28th February 2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Osmia

Default What kind of mud is good for Osmia?

Hi there,
I am a biologist and currently working with Osmia rufa. To perfect my experiments it would be good to know what sort of soil is the best for Osmia rufa. Does anybody have any idea or experience with that?
Thanks!
Osmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Pine Marten

Hi there, had to look up what it is. Now i know its a red mason bee that may help. Considering what they do it may be desirable to use a clay type soil. My thinking is that it would hold together better. Hope this helps.

Pine Marten.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Osmia

Hi Marten,
sorry I am so used to the latin by now...... Thanks for the tip. I will probably go outside and collect different types of soil today and then just offer them and see what they choose. We have plenty of clay around my University though so I'll go for that.
Let's see what I find out.
Thanks again
Taina
Osmia is offline   Reply With Quote