Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 11th October 2011, 05:06 PM   #71
Missmoneypenny

Thanks so much Pine Marten,,,thats brilliant
Missmoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 11:23 AM   #72
Bramble

Hi, i was given a hedgehog basket for xmas and hope to introduce hedgehogs into the garden. It didn't come with instructions other than where and how to place it. What is the best time of year to put it out to attract hedgehogs?? Does it need food in it?? (i was also given hedgehog food). Will it attract hedgehogs?? We have a huge slug and snail problem so i thought we'd already have hedgehogs. We are surrounded on 3 sides by fields but have 3 dogs and a cat, will this put hedgehogs off??
I'd love to attract loads of wildlife but don't really know where to start. We've seen foxes in the fields and put the odd chicken carcas over the hedge for them. Buzzards are often in the field and i feed the small birds with fat balls and the wood pigoens with seed. We have a problem with mice eating the intetiors of my husbands classic cars so i daren't put too much food about. Thanks bramble
Bramble is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 10:02 PM   #73
Kerry L

Hi again. I can't believe it's such a long time since I last popped on here. Sorry about that!

I have seen 2 hedgehogs in the garden here but only one that sneaked into the chicken's covered dirt bath and made a little nest there. The chickens are frightened of the huge scary hedgehogs so I always know when there is one snuffling around in the evening as they yell. So I had to transfer him to a dry, sheltered spot with all his leaves away from my birds! He was of good weight but when I checked on him he had moved - hopefully to a safe spot where he won't be disturbed.
I have never seen more than two around. During the summer my daughter called me out to watch a young hedgehog rummaging around in the front garden when she returned home very late, so we watched and a tawny owl flew across the road above us! We apparently were out at the right time!
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 10:48 AM   #74
Pine Marten

Have had a good year for hedgehogs. I marked 23. Once the season kicked off good and proper was having around 6 per night coming in for food.
Pine Marten is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 12:55 PM   #75
Kerry L

Brilliant! I don't think I've seen as many that have been run over this year either - not seen any late hibernaters luckily. Just had a message from the old rescue centre that I used to help out at. They had a new rescue centre with hospital attached built for them a couple of years ago but they are now not making ends meet and have said no more animals are being taken in - big or small. Very sad really as they are miles away from me now.
Kerry L is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 09:53 PM   #76
Jenny

At last, hedgehogs are back in the jungle. Two adults having a territorial fight tonight and have seen two younger ones out as well - putting out grub for them separately as don't want them to get involved with the big guys.

Unfortunately, Bambi aka Hamish the red deer stag is back and really gearing up for the rut - he is huge and is making a total mess of the jungle. but the

Sparrowhawk is making frequent visits - we nearly collided in the side passage the other day and don't know who was more shaken. Have decided bullfinches are worse bullies than greenfinches but the goldfinches are a delight - it's like watching a ballet chorus as they hop from dock plant to dock plant collecting seeds. I've no rowan berries left - blackbirds stripped both of my big rowans that were loaded (sign of hard winter) within two days, but it's looking good for hazel nuts - another indication of a hard winter up here.

And it's been a great year for wrens! I've not seen so many up here and they're so bold - the weather's been so good we've had windows and patio doors open and the little darlings have been coming in regularly.

Probably, the most special visitors are ones I've not seen for ages - common lizards and slow-worms - shared my patio with both last week.
Jenny is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 01:03 PM   #77
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
At last, hedgehogs are back in the jungle. Two adults having a territorial fight tonight and have seen two younger ones out as well - putting out grub for them separately as don't want them to get involved with the big guys.

Unfortunately, Bambi aka Hamish the red deer stag is back and really gearing up for the rut - he is huge and is making a total mess of the jungle. but the

Sparrowhawk is making frequent visits - we nearly collided in the side passage the other day and don't know who was more shaken. Have decided bullfinches are worse bullies than greenfinches but the goldfinches are a delight - it's like watching a ballet chorus as they hop from dock plant to dock plant collecting seeds. I've no rowan berries left - blackbirds stripped both of my big rowans that were loaded (sign of hard winter) within two days, but it's looking good for hazel nuts - another indication of a hard winter up here.

And it's been a great year for wrens! I've not seen so many up here and they're so bold - the weather's been so good we've had windows and patio doors open and the little darlings have been coming in regularly.

Probably, the most special visitors are ones I've not seen for ages - common lizards and slow-worms - shared my patio with both last week.
Hi Jenny

You sound really busy at the moment with your birds and mammels

The berries are bring stripped from our elderflower bush, and the blackberries are gone - the blackbirds made short work of them in our back garden.

We have a Sparrowhawk in our back garden, and it got a Starling the other day right in front of my eyes. Feathers everywhere.
I have seen it since when it nearly collided into our patio winndow - but it braked mid flight and missed only to fly upwards towards the top of the house roof!!!
Having feeders in the back garden attracts our birds only to attract Sparrowhawks - you cannot have one without the other sadly...

Our Hedgehog is a youngster, and this is a photos of him/her with a tick on it's neck

Regards
Kathy
x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (168.5 KB, 4 views)
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 06:52 PM   #78
Jenny

AAH!, Scopsowl, he's lovely. Both youngsters and adults here scoffing though think one of the latter has been deterred a bit by the disagreement.

Hamish has debarked bottom end of one of neighbour's trees overnight - getting rid of some of the antler fur covering I suspect.

Our blackberries just coming ripe - if we get another couple of good days like today it will be a battle royal to get some before the blackbirds do!
Old 11th December 2014, 12:01 AM   #79
ScopsOwl

It is the time of year of Hedgehogs to hibernate and I pray hope that they are all safe and warm now.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 12:46 AM   #80
Jenny

Not been able to get online for a while thanks to intermittent broadband, but think we've got all the hogs up to and over hibernation weight. Last hog out was about 10 days ago - was well stuffed but obviously topping up from the bird feeders!